Finnwolf VL63 Testing the peep sight

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by dynnis, Apr 5, 2021.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Here's a modified Sako aperture sight that I've had for many years. I'm not 100% sure where I got it, but I think it arrived on a .243 Mannlicher-style carbine that I sold a long time ago
    . The aperture has been opened up to a ghost ring, or something close. The windage and aperture adjustments still work, but it does not flip between 100 and 200. I did not do the work, it was this way when I got it. It's shown in the photos mounted on an L461 Mannlicher-style carbine. I found it quite difficult to get my face down far enough on the Monte Carlo cheekpiece to align the sights. I've had the same problem with a lot of rifles with high cheekpieces. I have a Sako peep mounted on an L46, which has a classic-style stock without a raised cheekpiece, and that works better for me.

Ghost Ring 1.JPG Ghost Ring 2.JPG Ghost Ring 3.JPG

L46 with Sako aperture sight
    L46FS-1.jpg

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Tell ya what, I kinda like the concept especially with my vision beginning to be not as sharp as in the past. I struggle for an instant to get a sight picture with the smaller aperture(s). Although I typically don’t care to modify factory items, I may consider reworking one of my peeps for close work. Thanks much.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  3. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Yeah I’ve been struggling with this for a while. I want to use the peep but sometimes my progressive eye glasses make me see two holes! My eyes just need a bigger opening. I may consider Ice’s solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Dad..you may want to try the large aperture peep first. The aperture is about 3 time’s larger than the one your using.
    I have recently been blessed with Custom lenses, 21st century bi focal’s , hard to get used to especially with gunsights and Optics!
    With mine , at 50 yards, it appears to have about a 12 foot field of view…

Hippie

5. Bernie’s Dad

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Oh. Ok. I’ll try. Maybe I can enlarge this one? Anyone ever do that? I am not much of a gunsmith but I own a drill press.

6. Bernie’s Dad

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Picked up a peep with a larger aperture. Much better for me. Still takes a bit to acquire the target. Might take some getting used to. Iron sights on the 85 are quicker.