Tell me about my L61R

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Maxwell, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I picked this rifle up about a year ago. I didn't know much of anything about Sakos when I bought it (and I know precious little more now) but I was looking for a new prairie hunting rifle on either a Mauser 98, Model 70, or older Sako action, and this thing came along with a reasonable price tag.

It seems to have been refinished with some kind of very thin, hard, matte coating (I suspect Cerakote, but don't know for sure) and transplanted into what seems to be a McMillan-esque stock made for a later Sako A-series action with a longer tang. The tang void was filled in, but badly. The stock doesn't seem to have ever been bedded to this particular barreled action, as the fit was very loose when I bought it, and there was considerable back-and-forth 'rocking' when the action screws were loosened at all.

I spent last weekend doing a home glass bedding job that turned out pretty well (good COVID-19 quarantine activity!). I plan to re-paint the stock, so I wasn't too obsessive about the cleanup work. I removed the old Conetrol bases that were wedged onto the dovetails, apparently by a gorilla, and picked up some used Leupold ringmounts for it. I've cleaned the bore down to bare metal (the bore is very smooth and the rifling looks nice and sharp), stripped and cleaned the bolt, cleaned all the gummy old oil out of the trigger assembly, and I'm getting ready to mount a Meopta MeoPro 4.5-14x44 and load up some ammo. I want to be ready to hit the range when we're all allowed back outside.

I'd just like to know exactly what it is that I have here. I know Finnbears were made for a long time, but can someone tell me when this one was made based on these markings, bolt shroud style, etc.? Also, any idea what the deal with this stock is?

Many thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Sort of wondering first and foremost, has the safety been converted? It’s not shown in its normal location.

It appears to be in a McMillan stock and yes it could be some type of coating, my guess would be Dura- coated not Cerakoted, but I could be wrong. The barreled action is an L61R as marked, from approximately 74-77.

Hope this helps a little, best of luck.

Maxwell likes this.
  3. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    The safety's not shown in its normal location because the whole trigger assembly wasn't on the rifle when I took those shots. Still looking around for the pin that holds it on there...

Thanks for the info!

4. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Yeah I didn’t look closely at the last photo. My bad...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  5. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    No worries—I kind of forgot about the trigger when I decided to take photos.

What makes you say Duracoat rather than Cerakote? Not disagreeing with you, I just haven't seen a lot of either one and I'm curious what clued you in. I might have it re-done because they missed a couple obvious (though small) patches of rust on the barrel. Methinks this rifle was rode hard and put away wet in a previous life.

6. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Cerakote is a ceramic based product. Very durable. When properly applied it is far more even than what your photos indicate. I can see several areas of unevenness and areas on corners which seem to have been rubbed back to almost bear metal.

Duracoat is a chemical based two part product. It’s simply not as professional with regard to high use as Cerakoted items. Most of the time this is an at home application, and it’s inexpensive by comparison. Most often it does the job for most. Metal prep is where most folks go wrong and it ends up being less than satisfactory.

Obviously, this is only an opinion and I don’t want to give the impression I’m knocking your rifle. Heck it may shoot great, then you’ll have a rifle which is a shooter, but you won’t worry if it gets bumped around occasionally.

7. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Good info, thanks again. If I have it refinished I'll have it Cerakoted. There's a local gunsmith that does it and charges very reasonable prices.

What you describe is exactly what I'm hoping for. Every 'nice' rifle or shotgun I've hunted with has ended up getting dinged or scratched and I've felt bad about it. I've concluded it's just not realistically possible to belly crawl around in the sagebrush and cactus and climb in and out of a truck, etc. without scratching a rifle. Not for long, anyway.If I can take an older, well-built gun and make it a shooter that'll shrug off the abuse, I'll consider this project a success. Bonus points for not being a run-of-the-mill Remington 700.