• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Target rifles, varied

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Very cool! I'll have to photograph my m/28-76 by way of reply. In the meantime, here's a couple of Swedish target rifles for your amusement. Both built on M96 military actions in 6.5x55.

Carl Gustaf CG63
Target rifles, varied

Custom by Folke Dahlberg
Target rifles, varied

Wow… love the Gustaf CG63 especially because of the 6.5x55…
Now the search begins…
They aren't hard to find but, as is normal on Gunbroker and elsewhere, a lot of sellers have exaggerated ideas of value. I got this one from Checkpoint Charlie in Wisconsin. A couple of weeks after I got it, I saw one at a local gun show tagged at $300-400 more than I'd paid. And it was at the next show, and the next. As we used to say when I was doing gun shows, "He must really love that gun - at that price, he's going to have it for a long time."

The low bolt is unusual on a CG63 - most of them retain the military straight bolt. This one may have a carbine bolt, or it may have been a custom touch for an individual shooter.

There are also straight military M96 rifles fitted with target sights, mostly for use by the FSR, the military-sponsored Swedish shooting club. Here's one such example, which probably is not of FSR origin. Note the swept-back bolt.
Target rifles, varied

As promised, here are the Finnish m/28-76 target/sniper rifles. These were built in the late 70's out of assorted parts. They are all chambered in 7.62x53r, but there are barrel variations. Most were built with m/28--30 barrels, which were made by Sako and have a .308 bore. However, some were built with m/39 barrels, with .311 bores. So, you have to handload for best accuracy and barrel life if you have a .308 bore. Adding to the mix is the fact that most of the m/28-30 barrels do not have the D chamber modification, meaning that most military ammo won't even chamber. A quick check for which barrel you have is to look at the front sight. An m/39 barrel protrudes much farther ahead of the front sight than the m/28-30.

These guns were used mostly for target shooting, but some were equipped with scope bases for use as sniper rifles, mainly by the border guard force. The mounts were made with either 30mm or 26mm rings. A variety of scopes were used, the most common being a 4x Schmidt & Bender. The scopes were marked with the castle marking that replaced SA as a Finnish property mark. Original Finn-issue sniper scopes are extremely rare in the US and command high prices.

Here are a pair, both with m/28-30 barrels. The upper rifle is the sniper version, with a non-original 12x B.Nickel-Marburg in an original 26mm mount. The rear diopter sight must be removed to mount the scope. It detaches with a single clamp screw and the scope mount is lever-operated. The bipod is correct; I got it from a dealer in Finland along with the scope mount.

The lower rifle is a standard target model with diopter sights. Both front and rear inserts can be changed to suit the shooter's preference.
Target rifles, varied

Love to see members rifles and suggest a dedicated photo library to catalogue the various models. The variety of firearms owned by members is just awesome. Of course you'd have to include warnings, "may be addictive", side effects include spousal turbulence, financial bickering, excessive drooling".

Love to see members rifles and suggest a dedicated photo library to catalogue the various models. The variety of firearms owned by members is just awesome. Of course you'd have to include warnings, "may be addictive", side effects include spousal turbulence, financial bickering, excessive drooling".
Agree.

Here is Sako-Valmet Sniper, made in 1986 total 25 heavy sniper rifles with muzzle brake. This rifle has three lug bolt which is said to be prodecessor of later Sako models with three lug bolt. The planning and manufacturing criteria for the rifle were that it must hit first shot a target with a diameter of 150 mm at the range of 500 meters using special ammunition (Lapua D46 bullet). In tests accuracy was actually lots of better.

Attachments

• Target rifles, varied
    20190928_192421.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Target rifles, varied
    20190928_192440.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 10
Wow! Fantastic find. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

Curiously, there is a current Gunbroker listing for a repro TKIV/85 sniper rifle. If I am reading the listing correctly, the gun was built with a correct military stock and a barreled action from an m/28-76. Kind of hard to figure out some of the description.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1048007746

And since GB listings go away, here's a photo.
Target rifles, varied

Latest posts

Back