Synthetic Stock, Non-Stainless Action?

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by Jaywalker, May 9, 2019.

1. Jaywalker

Jaywalker Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'm dipping my toe into a possible new Sako 85 purchase and would like some clarification, please.

Do all of the synthetic-stocked 85 models have stainless actions? Stainless barrels are okay, but I much prefer non-stainless actions. The specification pages aren't clear to me - some of them state "stainless action," while some of them just are silent about action composition.

If the answer is a simple, "Yes, all synthetic-stocked Sako 85 models have stainless actions," then I'll just move over to the all blued, wood stock models; no harm, no foul. To add one more complication, I'm looking for a 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor, right-handed.

Thanks.

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    No not all Synthetic Sakos are stainless. The 85 Black Bear and the 85 Synthetic Black are/were chrome moly not stainless.. My understanding is the new Black Wolf and The Carbon Wolf are also chrome moly.

Both come in 6.5 but not 7mm-08. I have a Black Bear and my son has a Black Synthetic. Those two are not offered anymore. Neither were offered in your preferred calibers. Sako hasn’t done much in 7mm-08, with the exception of the Finnlight and the Carbonlight, obviously both stainless.

Although your chosen calibers are versatile and fun to shoot, you are very limited regarding Sako. Best of luck.

3. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    To add,

The Finnlight II appears to be a Ceracote over chrome moly and is available in both your cartridges.

4. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Finnlight II is Cerakote over stainless.

Looks like the only model that fits strictly in that criteria of caliber, black action and synthetic stock would be the Carbonwolf. With wood stocks there are much more options.

5. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Thanks for squaring that PO4R, Wasn’t 100% sure as it’s unclear in the verbiage.

6. Jaywalker

Jaywalker Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks. I'll post what I do, if anything.