• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

super deluxe 308

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Vida

Hello fellow sako enthusiasts,

First thank you for all the information and knowledge being shared here.

My introduction to sakos started some years ago with the search for a small caliber rifle and the search ended with a purchase of a older and well used vixen in 222. This quickly became my favourite rifle and I will be sure to post some photos of it soon as well.
But this little vixen got me hooked on older sakos.
I had for some years been using a blaser r8 with the composite stock and was happy with it functionally. Where I am from in Norway it rains a lot and I thought a composite stock would be best suited for the job. Howerver I still felt there was something left to desire in the aesthetics department.

Then I came across this l579 in 308 (I think it is called a super deluxe) made sometime between 1982-84 and just knew I had to have it. It is far from original as the previous owner had the stock sanded down and redone as well as bedded the action and reblued the barrel. The barrel is also threaded while still having the iron sights, although the rear sight is a williams now and moved slightly forward, and I am not sure about the front sight if it is original or a williams as well.

It just feels like a perfect fit for me when take it to the shoulder. I have never experienced such a well balanced rifle before. And with its 2,850 kg it is a joy to carry.
I put on a leupold vx-II 3-9 on a pair of leupold low sako rings just for the obligatory hunting license shots we have to take in Norway each year. But the 300-400 grams it adds with the rings offput the perfect balance slightly so now I hunt with the fixed sights as they are very good for my use.
Anyway just a little sako epiphany I wanted to share with other sako fiends that have seen the light.

Best regards from Norway super deluxe 308 super deluxe 308 super deluxe 308 super deluxe 308 super deluxe 308 super deluxe 308

Very nice rifle. I think both the front & rear sights are aftermarket, probably to get them high enough to see over the suppressor. The thread protector is very nicely done, as it is almost invisible until removed. Recoil pad looks not to be factory, but the factory pads of that time were hard so I look at that as an improvement. It will be fun to hunt with. Thanks for sharing your rifle with us!!

Hello and Welcome!
You should have an excellent hunting rifle in the Super Deluxe! The .308 is my go to caliber for deer. They are easy to carry all day if desired. Many collectors will scoff at the various value bending improvements you’ve mentioned but it’s still a very nice gun. Even if it weighs almost 3000 kg!;)
(I understand that a comma is used there ,as we use a decimal point here in the states …2.85 kg)

bloo

VERY nice Super Deluxe......set up for shooting the iron sights.
Too bad the dove-tails were drilled/tapped......BUT still a great hunting rifle, in a grade not often seen.

Thank you for the kind words. I had it out for a driven hunt yesterday with my friends drever dog and a young buck came out to my post but I made too much movement when he came out and spooked him away before I could take a shot. No worries maybe we will see him next weekend.

The rifle is a pleasure to walk with and I wish every hunter and gun enthusiast could get the opportunity to handle a l579.

I wish you all a very nice sunday.

Had the opportunity for a roedeerbuck hunt in Denmark recently and was so lucky to get a little buck with the sako. I have a little suppressor on it so very little recoil and doesn't ruin the balance too much. Great weather too.
super deluxe 308 super deluxe 308

I have a mere deluxe with iron sights. The prior owner had removed/lost the rear sight, but fortunately, it was the version that Sako/ beretta had been using through the model 85 and Brownells had them in stock. I bought an AI in .223 at the same time/ deal. Also missing its rear sight. I need to shoot it some day…

Attachments

• super deluxe 308
    Screenshot 2024-06-08 at 14.06.53.jpeg.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
That must be one of the most impressive stocks I have seen on a sako, I love the tigerstripe. Is that a factory walnut stock or one you got made?
Would be nice to get a hold of one of those beautiful maple blanks you have available in America to make a stock for a vixen I have in 222rem. Like a white tiger stripe against the black blueing.

You should consider the rear peep sight they used to have, that fits on the rear base. That is a nice setup without a scope, and can be removed easy if you want a scope on.

That must be one of the most impressive stocks I have seen on a sako, I love the tigerstripe. Is that a factory walnut stock or one you got made?
Would be nice to get a hold of one of those beautiful maple blanks you have available in America to make a stock for a vixen I have in 222rem. Like a white tiger stripe against the black blueing.
Hi Vida,
I’ll just assume you’re talking about my deluxe as it has some serious tiger stripes. I apologize for stepping on the original post. My primary interest was showing the original rear site that they’re using now and on the late a series. As for the stock, it’s original.

Classy rifle, good looking Springer, and lovely day........ who could ask for more! Congrats.

Hi Vida,
I’ll just assume you’re talking about my deluxe as it has some serious tiger stripes. I apologize for stepping on the original post. My primary interest was showing the original rear site that they’re using now and on the late a series. As for the stock, it’s original.
What a beauty, I encourage everyone to post photos of their wonderful foresters in this post.

Classy rifle, good looking Springer, and lovely day........ who could ask for more! Congrats.
Many thanks , I saw the same buck the morning before but he saw me first so he jumped off, but the next morning he was there again and I was ready. And the dog is a kleiner münsterländer, very similar looking to a spaniel and very versatile. A little liver and heart and he was passed out the rest of the day.

super deluxe 308

I see now that you have a photo of a Springer on your ID clovis, what a happy dog. Some lucky guys we are.

Latest posts

Back