Strange Scope Mount

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stonecreek, Jan 20, 2020.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Check out the rear mount base of this Redfield-type mount on a Sako currently offered on Gunbroker. I've never seen the rear base turned backward (although these mounts have been made both with forward and aft-located front bases). Is this a rare variation I've never come across, or has someone somehow managed to mount this base reversed on the dovetail?

Q4BGJh.jpg

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Stone I have seen many Redfield bases on Sakos and never came across a set up like that resr mount. Very Strange

3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No how.....no way.

Although the rear base(for the Sako long action) is designed to overhang the loading/ejection port.........it was NOT designed to be reversed on the rear receiver ring. The dovetail angles would be reversed, with respect to one another.....resulting in contact at only the front edge of the rear receiver ring dovetail.

I would dare say that if one would push the scope's rear left or right.......the scope front ring mount would pivot.

Wow......

4. CHAUCER

CHAUCER Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I have been using Redfield-style bases on Sakos since 1971. I say Redfield-style because these bases don't quite look like Redfield. When Redfield changed the design and reversed the dovetail cuts on the bases, they still did not look like this. Note that the objective bell seems to be pressed against the barrel. If the scope and rings were removed, I would not be surprised to find that the bases had been screwed to the action--or even glued onto the action.

5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I agree. I'd love to see just how they accomplished this.

I once saw a scope mount that had been welded onto a Ruger Mini-14 with an ARC WELDER using what looked like an E-6013 stick. You can imagine what a beautiful job that was.

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I think 7018 rod would be more compatible with Ruger action castings & not splatter as much!!!

stonecreek likes this.
  7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Maybe they should have used a 7014 which, if I recall, is a low-hydrogen that is adaptable to either normal or reverse polarity.

8. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    :)
    My dad was a 798 weldor (yes, long enough to refer to himself as a weldor, he always told me his Lincoln 200 was a welder) and a couple of the first things he taught me when I started helping him was 1. how to hand him a rod and 2. know the difference between straight and reverse polarity.:)

robinpeck and stonecreek like this.
  9. CHAUCER

CHAUCER Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Well, I don't have as good a story as this, but I was once looking at a .222 Vixen Sporter at a gun show, and the seller asked if I would like to handle it. I replied that it had been drilled for the Weaver bases, and I wasn't really interested. And he quickly said that it had never been drilled. So I had to pick it up, and, sure enough, there were no screws and no sign of drilled and tapped holes. I looked at him, and with a wink, he said: Acraglas.

robinpeck, stonecreek and Sean Hodges like this.