strange action screws..

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by ardeekay, Feb 3, 2018.

1. ardeekay

ardeekay Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    I have a older sako, L579, and have been playing with it, found that the 2 actions screws are wierd... on tightening, or loosening, they seem to be bent, but I cant see that.. when doing either tightening or loosening, there is a " tight... loose... tight... loose.." that would indicate a bent screw.. Is this normal?? If not where can I get some new ones??? Bob

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Bent action screws???? No, that is not "normal". Have you put a straight edge on them to check? Can't imagine a force was somehow applied to your rifle that would "bend" the action screws without damaging the stock. Last time I checked wood was weaker than steel. You more than likely have bedding issues or action holes in the stock not aligned with the action screw holes. If you need new screws Brownell's had them last time I checked. Midwest Gun is another source. Does it shoot OK? If so, then there is really not much to be concerned with.

3. ardeekay

ardeekay Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Thanks for the reply, I have not fired it yet, it had the original trigger, and I had a few issues with that.... it would either 'slam fire' or not cock on closing 2 cycles out of 10 or so... so I ordered a new aftermarket trigger, put it on, and it seems to have cured the cocking issue... I hope... I am in Fla., and do not have a place to shoot here... will in April (up north) The new trigger fit for shit... had to dremmel the hell out of it, and heat it up and bend it to fit the trigger guard ..they don't tell you that when you buy one.. thanks again, any input is appreciated.. Bob

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The trigger issues were more than likely caused by it being improperly adjusted. The Sako #4 trigger can't be set lower than around 2 lbs or the safety will not work. The slam fire is probably from the pull weight being set too low and/or the overtravel screw being incorrectly set & not allowing the trigger to return to battery. There was probably no need for a new trigger, if the original would have been set properly. The Sako trigger is one of the best, so if you choose to sell it you could easily recoup some of your costs.

5. ardeekay

ardeekay Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    ..Update... I went to a 'Rural King'.. they had a chart, found the original action screws are 6mm x 1.0, bought 2 ( $ .99 each) and they fit great, no wobble when tightening.. just have to machine the heads some. I looked close at the originals, they are bent.. I set the timney up to 4.5# and its a lot better, very crisp even tho a tad more than I hoped to get, was having issues at 3#, sometimes it wouldn't cock, seemed like the trigger when pulled did not have the 'oomph' to go forward and catch the bolt sear.. maybe some 'gook' in the trigger unit... thanks to all for the input, will shoot the rifle in April.. If the snow melts up there... Bob