Stock help

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Old white guy, May 19, 2020.

1. Old white guy

Old white guy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    New here, I've got a 1986 L579 Sako medium action in 22/250 with a Shilen sporter barrel. Bolts are 6 7/8" center to center. Looking for a stock similar to the Bell and Carlson with the aluminum bedding. My old Richard's microfit has split badly. I could put aluminum pillars in but I don't think there is enough room behind the trigger cut out for a half inch hole for the pillar. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 19, 2020

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Put in a smaller diameter pillar or just glass bed it without a pillar.

3. Old white guy

Old white guy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Thank you for your reply. I should have mentioned that it was already glass bedded. I didn't know that they made pillars smaller than 1/2". I'll look around for some.

Attached Files:

4. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The action screw hole is around 1/4", so a 1/2" pillar would add 1/8" around the circumference. Just judging from the picture, it looks like you have enough clearance. Recoil lug area looks to be nicely bedded, so not sure I would do anything there. Is the crack behind the magazine well what you are concerned about?

5. Old white guy

Old white guy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Yes....not so much for the one behind the lug.

6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    That crack is a minor issue. Just rout out the crack a little with a dremel tool so you can stuff some bedding glass in it & rout a slot perpendicular to the crack at the back of the mag well for a steel pin made from a 4 to 8 penny nail, then fill it all with glass bed material. That will stop any further cracking. Put a little bedding glass under, not behind the rear tang, & you are good to go. Not sure pillars will do you any better. Just my two cents.

7. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Ah! Wait! Stop! Cracks are easily fixed by squirting a bit of super glue in the crack and gently clamp the stock between two wooden blocks in a vise and apply enough pressure to close the crack. My local gunsmith taught me this technique years ago and it works perfectly. The bond is stronger than the wood around the defect. Be careful not to overdue the superglue. After applying quickly wipe off any excess. No need to sand and refinish with this method.

rick

8. Old white guy

Old white guy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

9. Old white guy

Old white guy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Thanks a lot another great suggestion!