Spotting Scopes?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by icebear, Aug 27, 2021.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Leupold used to source its binoculars from a supplier in Japan. They were excellent instruments for the price, especially the bullet-proof individual eye focus models which did away with the cumbersome, complicated, and delicate center focusing gimmick. Those sell for a premium these days when you can find a used-but-unabused one.

When they moved their sourcing to China the quality went in the toilet.

Unlike their scopes which they will fix (or more likely replace) under warranty, they have no idea how to line up the two barrels of a binocular, thus if you have one which has a problem with collimation (perhaps one of the most important factors in how well a binocular works) there is no point in sending them in to the factory.

2. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    In the 1990s I mannf. a product for hauling deer on an ATV. Made in Savannah, GA /union labor. My cost before Advertising was $76.10/ea
    mark up 40% for profit=$106.54. Sales to jobbers, retailers, etc. was marked up average another 40%= $149.15, cost to consumer. I marketed them at the Shot Show, New Orleans, Buckarama, Atlanta and several other outdoor venues. Bubba said "too much " I'll haul the deer in with a rope!!! I was approached by a Chinese Rep. that offered to give me a price to Mfg. His price, $50.00 delivered to our warehouse in N. Augusta. Mark up 40%=$70.00/profit, Dealer markup averaged additional 40%=$98.00 although many retailers priced them @ $120.00. Bubba says too much, will use rope!!!
    My motive to have them made in China was to lower the end cost to consumer.
    So where does the greed lay? me? union labor? retailers mark-up?
    All of us wants to buy at a lower cost ( human nature) 1,000 units profits $28,000, not much for -invention pattents. development costs, sales & advertising. Go figure, still have about a dozen!!! see proto type pics.
    B/T Wallpaper.jpg img030.jpg
    sales costs

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Sounds like a short history of Wal-Mart and several others. American entrepreneur invents a product, somebody in China makes it cheaper, public wants it cheaper still. Wal-Mart has a long history of buying a new product from the American entrepreneur, getting him to crank up production for large orders, then constant pressure to meet "the China price." Eventually Wal-Mart demands a price that doesn't allow him to cover his fixed costs (multiplied to meet Wal-Mart's demand) and he goes out of business. Wal-Mart orders a knockoff from China.

I'll say this, at least the Chinese manufacturer offered to work with you, the legitimate owner of the intellectual property. Mostly they just make a cheap knockoff and sell it under a similar-sounding name. Or the same name.

Incidentally, it's too complicated to go into, but I have first-hand experience with intellectual property piracy and knockoffs from East Asia. And the common practice of dozens of small manufacturers copying an innovative product, each one cutting more corners to cut the price, until the originator can't sell his product in the forest of knockoffs.

kevinlg and Bucktote like this.
  4. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Pretty sure we’ll see some knock-off UH-60 Blackhawk’s on the world market pretty soon.

5. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Need special shovel with supernatural qualities. dig up Patton,
    Mc Arther, Schwartzkoff.& Lemay that's my dream Joint Chiefs of Staff!! Praying for next generation of above like generals!!
    B/T

6. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    At trial......I'd like to see "Milky" attempt to face down Ike, Bradley, and Patton.

Yep.....I'd pay, and bring popcorn, to see that!

7. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    If they find out you carried in your own popcorn, you will probably be asked to leave, or at least dump out the popcorn. You must buy bubba’s in house popcorn…$15 per bucket, $3 for extra butter