Souvenir from Germany assignment Sako .308

Discussion in 'Show us all your beautiful Sakos!' started by Kwills, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Kwills

Kwills Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I brought this Finnish Beauty home with me. Bought it at the Patch Barracks Rod and Gun or Hook and Bottle just after the Wall fell. Never fired. She's been locked up in a hard case all this time. Some tools are art. Looks like a little dusting is in order.

Attached Files:

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    So this would be a 1990-ish Sako? Is it a M-591? I've don't recall ever seeing the Finnish Lion stamped on the bolt handle. Was this a common feature during this period?

3. Kwills

Kwills Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    My receipt is from 1992. No telling how long they had it on the shelf.
    I am certainly not a provenance expert on Sakos. I bought it to hunt Mule deer and Antelope in Central Oregon, but never made it back to Oregon. A little too much reach for Florida.

I went to Octoberfest in New Braunfels in 95 or 96. Nice area! A little smaller than Munich’s shindig.

4. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Looks like a beauty! I would sure like to see some full size shots of both sides. I have two bring backs, sans importer marks. I didn't have to enlist to get mine though, thank you for your service.

Judging by that rear sight, I'm guessing that was a late 80s AII model not an M591.

Gary

5. Kwills

Kwills Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    It does have AII just p

6. Kwills

Kwills Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Digging thru my files and found the info sheet. It is a Sako L 579 De Luxe A II 369xxx

The plastic envelope also included a little brown post card inviting me to join the S.C.A. Courtesy of Mims Reed of Texas and Jim Lutes of Kansas.