Some Unique Sako-Mausers

Discussion in 'Sako Mausers, Hi-Powers and Magnum Mausers' started by stonecreek, Jul 9, 2021.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Paulson's post on the Sako-Mauser mystery rifle reminded me that I should post some photos of my collection of somewhat unique Sako-Mausers. There has never been a great deal of interest in the Sako-Mausers, and accordingly, they typically can be bought well worth the money. But I happen to have run across and acquired three rather unique ones in my Sako wanderings.

The top one in the photo is the only Deluxe version of the Sako-Mauser I can recall seeing. It is a .30-06 and features the same Deluxe attributes as the L-series Sakos; specifically, skipline checkering, contrasting fore end and PG, no sights, and engraved floorplate. It has the engraving pattern deemed "Fishgods" and is the "three-eyed" version. The pad came on it but I'm sure it is a replacement.

The middle one is, outside of a .375 H&H in the recent North Dakota sale, the only Sako-Mauser Mannlicher I've seen. It is in .270, has a full length 24.4" rifle barrel, and incidentally, shoots right along with any half-stock rifle I've owned. The buttplate (or pad, don't remember which) was unusable when I got it, so I replaced it with a Pachmayr.

The bottom one is the 8x60 I showed in another thread. While the first two are post-1957 rifles with the Sako #4 triggers and trigger safety, this one is an older one with a Mauser trigger and wing bolt safety. It has no receiver holes for mounting a scope. Very few 8x60's were made, and none were commercially imported to the U.S.

DSC00781 (1024x441).jpg

Floorplate engraving on Deluxe model:
    DSC00782 (800x287).jpg

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    That Mannlicher is the Bee's Knees. Wife just said I took on a little "green" tint after seeing the pic!

3. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Stone..The trigger guard engraving on your De Lux is almost exactly the same as what is on my L 57 Deluxe 9AA086CC-A816-4A64-A2F8-47A35B087220.jpeg

Edit: sorry to sidetrack from the Sako/Mauser subject, I mentioned it to possibly coincide a timeline in production.:D

Hippie

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  4. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Unpardonable! No one ever gets off the subject around here:rolleyes:!

But thanks for the photo. There are some "two-eyed" Fishgods out there, I think. Would be glad if someone would post theirs.

5. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Fantastic trio Stonecreek.

6. Karelian

Karelian Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah

Bernie’s Dad likes this.
  7. Karelian

Karelian Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Stone Creek,
    I have an 8 x 60 very similar to yours except mine has a schnable on the fore end and a hood over the front sight. It has not been drilled and tapped for scope mounting. The checkering does not cross the bottom centerline of the stock, leaving a thin, uncheckered strip 1/4" wide. The floorplate is not hinged and the release is a vertical stud (push button). The butt plate is unmarked black plastic with horizontal lines. I don't know if it is original.

With Buffalo Arms (Idaho) 200 grain .318" psp bullets, it is a tack driver as well as I can shoot with open sights. The FN action is also the smoothest of all my bolt guns and is the only one that can easily be worked from the shoulder. The curve of the pistol grip is a little tight when shooting full-power heavy elk loads but the balance of the rifle is about perfect

8. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    I like that manlicher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yep, I need to order some of those .318 bullets for my 8x60. I have some brass, and more is easy to make from .30-06, so that's not a problem.