Smoothing bolt cycling (L579 and L61R)

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Viking264, May 25, 2020.

1. Viking264

Viking264 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Greetings all. Wondering if you can offer me some advice on improving the smoothness of bolt cycling on L579 and L61R actions. Some time ago, I purchased one of each. The former is the heavy-barrel .243 Win, the latter a .30-06. The .243 has been fired very, very little; I would estimate fewer than 20 rounds, and it is practically mint, overall. The .30-06 appears to have had more use, but is still a remarkable rifle. Both of the actions are very clean, but when I compare them to some of the other actions that I own / have owned, I find them to be "slow", meaning that there's considerable drag when cycling the bolt through the action. I have operated examples of older Sako actions that cycled much more smoothly. Likely, wear from use is a factor, but I am not likely to be pumping tons of rounds down either to break them in; they are both "someday" hunting rifles for me. I'd simply like to improve the smoothness of bolt cycling. I have never lubricated my bolt action rifles, so if that's what some of you believe to be a potential area for improvement then you'll need to give me some recommendations on brand. If there's a method that you use with some sort of buffing compound, then again please let me know what you recommend. Many thanks for any help that you can provide.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Some people smooth up rough actions by cycling them repeatedly while slathered with valve grinding compound. But that is usually reserved for a Savage, Remington, Mossberg, etc. which comes rather rough from the factory. Sakos are typically quite well finished and don't need such treatment.

It is most likely that your rifles simply need cleaned and lubed. Take the bolt apart and clean any gunk you might find internally with solvent, then reassemble it using a light coat any type of very thin oil. Pay particular attention to the cocking cam since if this is dry and rough the force to open the bolt will be much heavier. The bolt raceways, particularly the LH one, will need a light coat of similar oil. Such a treatment should result in the "slickness" of operation you desire.

3. Viking264

Viking264 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Thank you. I'll do that and will report back.

4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'd also suggest a small amount of high quality lube on the bolt/receiver lugs.

I use Pro-Gold Bolt Lube.

Hope this helps.