small eyepiece 1-4 scope

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by AWS, Jan 11, 2018.

1. AWS

AWS Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I have a little Sako with a Leupold Compact 2-7 and the eyepiece diameter is 1.3" I tried to put a 1-4 Leupold on it but the eyepieve diameter of 1.56 and the bolt won't clear the eyepiece. The rifle is a little L-416 Full stock and I would like to put a scope with more FOV on it(coyote calling rig). The rings are original Sako lows and would prefer to keep those and they give me a perfect cheek weld so the hunt for a smaller eyepiece diameter 1-4x20mm scope.

Thanks for any help.

erich

2. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Forget "Cheek Weld." Your ability to see through a scope another 1/8 of an inch higher to accommodate medium rings and a better scope, is more important. Restricting the improvement of the optics and potential of the rifle and what it can do for you for the sake of low rings isn't worth the limitations.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If wide FOV is what you're after then you should look for a Leupold 2.5 Compact. Same ocular diameter at the 2-7X, but about the widest FOV available (and most generous eye relief). I think this scope has been discontinued, but there are lots of them out there on the used market and Leupold will guarantee them to any owner for the life of the scope.

4. AWS

AWS Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    While you might know your Sako' s, scopes don't seem to be your high point. The 2-7 compact has an FOV of 41" on 2x, the Leupold compact fx-2.5 has only 39' and the various 1-4 and 1-6's run from 75' on the VX-2 1-4 to 109' on the Alpen XP-1-6, all of which I own except the FX-2.5. My closest deer kill is 8' and my closest coyote kill is 6' it is really nice to have a whole coyote in the scope to pick a spot than just fur. I don't take it off the lowest power under 150 yards.

Here's an excerpt from another post elsewhere on the subject.

"The advantage for me is the wide FOV, at 1x I have a 10' FOV at 10 yards that is a whole coyote and some acreage in the scope, exactly perfect for a coyote charging into the call or moving through the sage at 30 yards I can see the coyote in the scope and still have space to see an opening ahead of him for a shot plus for me it is a lot easier to shoot it with both eyes open on my combo guns. 2x shrinks that FOV in half and 3x by 2/3rds. I coyote hung up at 300 yards is in mortal danger with having 4 or 6x available.

My deer hunting was done in the forests of northern WI and MN and consisted of still hunting or tracking, jumping a deer at close range again a huge FOV trumped X's every time, my closest buck was killed at 8' trying to circle around where he thought I was. I also killed a couple across a clear cut looking back to see what was following them, again time to crank it up to 4x."

As far as cheek weld, a lot of my shooting is very fast action and I need a rifle that when it hits my shoulder my eye needs to be lined up, there is no time to search for the scope so cheek weld is extremely important, and is easily fixed with out damage to the stock with a butt bag with foam inserts. I ended up with a Leupod 1-4, one of the scopes with the least critical eye position, leupold Med rings for a Sako, Leu. #49945 and a butt bag with a 1/4" insert and will save the 2-7 and Sako rings for the next owner after I pass away.

By the way this thing is great, shooting around 1" three shot groups at 200 yards with the 2-7 on it, it does walk when the barrel warms but the first tree are on the button, a great coyote gun it will be, a PD rifle never.

5. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Wow, that is some incredible success. Here in Montana we are not as sophisticated in our hunting. Any coyote hunters I am aware of would be using a shotgun for shots at 8 feet. Most that shoot coyotes here will shoot them before they get that close.

1 inch groups at 200 yards is incredible as well. Most of our rifles are not 1/2 inch guns and to get a group like that with a 2-7 scope is flat out amazing. I have shot all sorts of critters from grizzly bears to gophers and never considered cheek weld and the need for specialized equipment to shoot 8 feet. I have always been backwards in my hunting and had a bit more power on a variable scope, planning for a longer shot rather than so close. I need to reconsider how I hunt, I may be missing in more than one way...

pakula likes this.
  6. AWS

AWS Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    You missed the part about the combo gun, I'd already used the 12 ga barrel on that stand, rolled him with it the first shot killed him running straight at me at 6' with the rifle barrel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. AWS

AWS Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Shot one group and thought it might be a fluke so shot another. Weaver K-3
    [​IMG]

Put a K-4 on it before I sold it

[​IMG]

8. AWS

AWS Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    [​IMG]
    This little Sako can do it.

I find that there is always time to turn a variable scope up, never any time to turn one down.

Shooting deer from a stand or stalking deer or whatever in more open country higher power scopes can be more effective, but for what and how I hunt 1-4 to 1.5-6's gets the job done.

I have a number of scopes from 1-4 to 8-32 , each does it's job well, I've even won a couple of shooting competition over the years. Owned a gunshop and shooting range. Since retirement I hunt coyotes in up to five states every year.

9. AWS

AWS Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    First group fired with claw mount rings I made myself and a Weaver K-1.5 with factory PPV 139gr 7x57R. This is a great rifle for hunting the north country also. 100 yards.

[​IMG]

The little scopes get the job done for me.
    Weaver V-3 on the first 25-204 built, in 2005 the first year 204 brass became available, Public land NW WI just south of Ashland,

[​IMG]

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    There is plenty I don't know about Sakos, and even more I don't know about scopes. But, as I said, you should look for a Leupold Compact 2.5 fixed which I noted was discontinued several years ago, not Ultralight FX-II, the currently-produced model. The Compact is a slightly different scope from their current offering and, when specs were available on it, it was speced at 43' FOV. That is about the widest FOV you can get in a scope with an ocular bell small enough to mount where you want to mount it.

Some of the early Weavers down to the K-1.5, I think, used a small ocular, but they are hard to find and due to their age may be optically compromised and lack dependability. So far as I know, the Weaver K-1 only came with the later ocular which was probably too large for the mount you wish to use.

However, I would not recommend either the old Weavers or the more recent Leupold COMPACT 2.5X for deer at eight feet and less. By far the best scope for such a situation would be one of the very sophisticated European all-steel high magnification jobs with the 56mm objective -- but don't mount it on the rifle, instead just bash them in the head with it.

11. AWS

AWS Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I was on the hunt for a 1-4 with a small ocular housing to fit in the a small Sako, I already had a scope with a 41 foot FOV and it didn't meet my requirements and I WASN'T looking for an alternative scope with the same FOV that didn't have the option of higher power for much longer shot.

I thought that Sako owners might have run into the same problem and looked for help instead of answering the question even with a "Not that I know of or just No" being told I don't know what I want and something that doesn't fit the parameters is what I need. This happens so often, ask a question about a specific scope and nobody answers the question but goes on and on about what I really need.

For me killing a coyote at 200-300 yards is just boring, no different than shooting a good group at the same distance, calling them into your shoelaces is a rush, many times if I'm offered a long shot I pass on it and come back another day and see how I can get a closer one. Deer hunting I love to spend all day on a track figuring out what the deer is doing to escape me and then using it to out smart him or sneaking through the woods being able to get the drop on one.

As for "forgetting cheek weld " I shot competitive International Skeet from a true low gun position to know when the gun hits your shoulder everything had to be lined up, it is the same with a rifle if you have to spend even a split second to find the crosshairs or line up the shot the opportunity can be lost.

Sorry if I came across like an asshole, but I've been doing this for a very long time, and pretty much know what I need but this is my first small Sako and tried to tap some info that isn't readily available elsewhere.

12. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Really, cheek weld is a term of little use when snap shooting. How someone effectively sees through a scope is a direct relation to how much one shoots. I applaud you for all your experience, but I am more impressed with the tally of critters shot and less with groups and claims.

There are plenty of successful shooters on this site and few are as bold to come here with a bunch of claims and experience and no introduction. Mark me skeptical, as I know there are better shots and hunters around than I, but not many...

13. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here's your original post. The only (modern) scope I'm aware of with both a small ocular and a wider FOV than the one you mention is the Leupold Compact 2.5x. It is true that its FOV is only marginally wider, but I was being as truthful and helpful as I could. However in your original post you did not mention shooting deer or coyotes at 8 feet. Had you done so, no one would have bothered to respond to you since no scope is adapted to shooting at 8 feet.

My reward for passing on the information on the out-of-production Leupold was to be told that I didn't know what I was talking about. Au contraire mon ami connard, the lack of knowledge seems to reside in some other place.

14. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I'm not sure any of us here have the vast experience & knowledge that you seem to possess about the hunting & shooting disciplines, but when someone responds to your requests in an honest & heartfelt way to help you the least you could do is show some courtesy & thank them instead of insulting them & bragging about your accomplishments. If you "pretty much know what you need" why do you ask us? Is 1/8" difference in "cheek weld" all that much to get upset about? I think the part of your quote referring to an anatomical feature speaks volumes. Sweet goes a lot farther than sour, especially when you are asking for assistance.

15. AWS

AWS Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I already had a scope on the rifle that had all the attributes of the 2.5 compact plus the ability to go to 7x so it was pretty much a wasted suggestion and wasn't what I was asking. The first thing I mentioned was wanting to put a 1-4 scope on the rifle and the last thing I said "so the hunt for a smaller eyepiece diameter 1-4x20mm scope".

I did get a little testy about an irrelevant answer and then tried to explain why I needed the 1-4 scope. I said those were my CLOSEST shots (6' and 8') with a rifle not all of them. Then tried to explain the type of hunting I do. Then caught hell for it.

So I posted a bunch of groups fired with a variety of rifle with low powered scopes and equipment I've built to prove a point.

I failed.