• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Silence is Golden

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

When I was a youngster I thought that maybe an 8" section of foam pipe insulation (like you put on a hot water pipe or A/C lines) might make a good "silencer" clamped on the muzzle of a .243. I really couldn't tell any difference in the report, but the bits of foam flying in all directions was entertaining.

Mike was told that a baby bottle nipple would silence a.22 with loaded with rat shot.!
He was troubled by a stray dog that pulled the washed clothes off the clothes line.
Mike laid in wait for the culprit , nippled 22 in hand> Ahh there he is, pulling at a shirt!
The dog heard the window opening, climbed the fence presenting NOT A Bulls EYE, but close! The shot sounded like a cannon! The wife called out did you get him?, what does he look like! Mike replied a dark grey whippet with a nipple in his A--!!

Follow-up. 2 photos illustrating a Knights Armament SR25 (.308) suppressor mounting system on rear of barrel showing notches & cam on suppressor to lock on. Process takes seconds & barrel sits inside suppressor. Same unit used on the KA M-110 military 7F227D1F-C5D4-4501-95A2-F2A670ED7D57.png C6C7593F-BC3E-474F-96F5-8BC31AC7F816.png version.

Tried to find a suppressor that went back over the barrel to reduce OAL, but was unsuccessful. I think they are more common in Europe. Is yours as efficient as a direct thread?

Hello Sako Lovers, Over here in England UK if you have a sound moderator fitted to any quality rifle, the value of that rifle will be 50% reduced. Also over here in England UK the Police encourage us riflemen to use sound moderators. The only rifle I own with a sound moderator is a 1954 Brno Mk 2. That rifle being a .22 Long calibre.
Blackjack

I have noticed that dog barking can be heard further than shot from suppressed rifle (243win). I was wondering could it be that sound is somehow changing frequency or something when using suppressor? I doubt that dog bark could be over 130-140dB what suppressed rifle is producing.

A very good discussion and I especially enjoyed the comment that pertained to being good for mounting on any rifle except a Sako. Cheers. Sakojim.

Here it could be other way around.:D Old Sakos are everywhere and they are cheap, so hunters buy them as a project bases. Like my friend made shortened "youht rifle" from older Forrester for his son. I cried a bit but the young lad was happy having a good fitting deer rifle.

I have noticed that dog barking can be heard further than shot from suppressed rifle (243win). I was wondering could it be that sound is somehow changing frequency or something when using suppressor? I doubt that dog bark could be over 130-140dB what suppressed rifle is producing.
I'm no acoustics expert but my guess is that the sound from a suppressed rifle is more directional, especially the sonic crack. That might make it seem quieter if one was behind it rather than in front. The range I shoot at has trees at about 300 yards downrange & I can hear the sonic crack echoing back, but when shooting over an open field I don't & it's definitely quieter. That may be because the sonic crack keeps traveling away. Just a scientific wild ass guess!

Frequency shifting is one technique to reduce noise in the audible range. I have noticed too that some suppressors make that kind of a high pitch yelp, but I have no idea how much of the suppression "power" can be attributed to frequency shifting and how much would be just larger air volume to allow controlled pressure drop.

The suppressor take the muzzle blast quite sificant down and the recoil too. But the bullet sonic crack will remain - so it is not totally quiet.
There is mine 30-06

Attachments

• 0E343837-B13E-44A5-88A7-0F132CF7E10F.jpeg
    0E343837-B13E-44A5-88A7-0F132CF7E10F.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 8
Silencer Central tested 27 different suppressors and have an interesting discussions on humidity effect on sound, build design material, etc and clearly not all suppressors are equal in sound suppression with some bad ones. The caveat or limitations to the discussion is that they were testing .30 caliber suppressors for use on a .223 caliber, so there is a difference in the intended effect of a smaller diameter bullet on a larger style unit as different results would be expected in a correct sizing.
That being said, I have seen some promoted suppressors that are very poor and side by side with a good designed one is a startling difference. Bullet velocity is a significant factor but the rifle report should be much less than the bullet breaking the sound barrier and/or impact to the point that the origin location should not be identifiable, even if standing off to one side. If used for hunting any nearby animals to the target should look toward the impact rather than the source which I would want and have seen. My 2 cents.

Frequency shifting is one technique to reduce noise in the audible range. I have noticed too that some suppressors make that kind of a high pitch yelp, but I have no idea how much of the suppression "power" can be attributed to frequency shifting and how much would be just larger air volume to allow controlled pressure drop.

I own .30cal carbon fiber supressor and .25 cal metallic one [ titanium(treads)/stailess steel(first baffels)/aluminium(body and rest of the baffels) ]. Both work equally well but metallic producess more higher pitch. Shooting with out hearing protection and spitz going bonkers inside a car for a road side deer is equally painfull :mad:.

If used for hunting any nearby animals to the target should look toward the impact rather than the source which I would want and have seen. My 2 cents.

True, I have noticed the same. Odly when shooting Black Grouse, other birds will some times stay put with unsupressed rifle. Never seen this with supressed. Could be though, that I have mostly used unsupressed (.222 or .223) so I have bigger "sample size" for unsupressed shots.

Here is a suppressor one step up from a 22 LR only one. It's a Yankee Hill Machine Stinger & is rated for 22 calibers from 22 Short up to the 22 Hornet & 5.7x28, including all the 17 rimfires. It's the same size as a 22 rimfire suppressor but has heavier stainless steel baffles. It still only weighs less than 6 oz. The baffles are ported, numbered & scribed with an alignment line so you put it together properly. This helps in suppressor efficiency & reduces first round "pop". The rifle is a 19 Calhoon Hornet & suppression of sound is remarkable. Colony varmints don't react to it, making it one of my favorites for that task. With the 20" barrel I don't even know it's on.
CZ 19 sup.jpg YHM Stinger.jpg

To all our Irish Sako shooters & followers!
Happy St. Patrick's Day. Can't be silenced today! Sorry for pirating the post Mr. Paulson, but St. Patrick's Day In Savannah, GA could never be silenced!
B/T

To all our Irish Sako shooters & followers!
Happy St. Patrick's Day. Can't be silenced today! Sorry for pirating the post Mr. Paulson, but St. Patrick's Day In Savannah, GA could never be silenced!
B/T
I had forgotten the British shipped a lot of their Irish prisoners to Georgia until I read your post. Georgia started as a penal colony because the Brits couldn't take the heat. Erin go bragh!

7DFB1411-46CC-4287-97AC-DD4FA4B18861.jpeg As earlier discussed. Impractical without training wheels or a gun bearer. However, response from a couple of “field” issued users that have tried this suppressor commented that it would have been preferred regardless of the weight due to reduced recoil, reduced report & no dust signature from blast of the muzzle brake that comes with this rifle.

View attachment 29293 As earlier discussed. Impractical without training wheels or a gun bearer. However, response from a couple of “field” issued users that have tried this suppressor commented that it would have been preferred regardless of the weight due to reduced recoil, reduced report & no dust signature from blast of the muzzle brake that comes with this rifle.

As Crocodile Dundee said, "This is a suppressor!"

My only experience with suppressors has been with .22 rimfires. About 20 years ago I had a Ruger 10/22 with an integral suppressor. The jacket ran the full length of the 16" barrel, and the manufacturer put it in a synthetic stock to fit the oversize barrel shroud. The interesting thing was that the baffling was arranged so that it cut the velocity of a .22 Long Rifle to subsonic. Subsonic ammo was a specialty item at the time, and somewhat pricey compared to ordinary .22LR. I don't recall who made the thing but it might have been AWC. Accuracy with .22LR ammo was respectable and functioning was flawless. I tried subsonic ammo just to see what would happen, and accuracy was lousy. I sold it when I moved from Virginia to Arizona. I didn't want to screw around with the ATF paperwork to take it with me, and a guy I knew wanted it, so it went bye-bye. I don't know if anybody is making a setup like that now, but it was very compact, handy, and quiet.

My other experience with a suppressed .22 was back in the 80's, courtesy of my then-employer, the State Department. The Department had a substantial "library" of exotic weapons for security agents to "fam fire." One of the more interesting toys was a full-auto CAR-15 with a .22LR conversion and a suppressor. Firing it was a trip. This was an indoor range so we had to wear hearing protection, since there were guys at the other end of the firing line practicing with 2-1/2" .357's. On full-auto with hearing protection, there was no detectible sound and no perceived recoil. You could empty a 30-round magazine and the only way you knew the gun was running was a slight vibration in the fingertips. It was a hoot to shoot.

Latest posts

Back