Sight Hood

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by fshaw, Feb 21, 2021.

1. fshaw

fshaw Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I'd like to find a front sight hood for an early Bofors L579. I've seen that the Custom Shop has hoods available. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Frank

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    From what I have heard the hoods from our friend in Montana are not properly tempered. This results in them not being truly "spring" steel, so when they are spread to slide on the ramp they remain loose & are easily knocked off while hunting. This is based on what others have said, as I will not buy anything our friend in Montana has to offer.

3. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I'm chasing a couple of these hoods too, got quite interested in the ones from Montana till I looked closer... they are not correct in a couple of areas for 'NOS Sako Factory Front Sight Hoods' for the L and A series rifles.
    The front and rear face edges should be angled and the retaining feature on the lower flange should be small and triangular to lock securely into the slot milled into the LHS of the front sight ramp. Maybe they are off 75 or 85 series?
    Pity... there would be a good market for correctly executed reproduction vintage L and A series sight hoods.
    What is considered a reasonable price?
    Sako repro hood underneath.JPG
    Sako OEM L579 front sight hood.JPG

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  4. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    From my past experience I know the hoods for L and A series sights are not angled as you suggest. The hoods you refer to were originally made by a member of this forum who later passed the plans/details on to the supplier you mention who produces them to sell from his store and online.
    The ones I got from the original maker were very good reproductions. I can't say if that is still the case....

douglastwo likes this.
  5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Many A series guns were sold in the USA with Williams sights. The angled hood in the photo may to be a Williams hood. It would be pointless to reproduce those, as they are still available from Williams for under ten bucks. I have also been told that certain Sakos had angled hoods. There are photos in Arma Fennica of L57, L579, and VL63 rifles with angled hoods. The hood in the photo seems to be angled rather sharply at both ends, as opposed to the Williams hood in the photo below. The Williams hood on my rifle is angled more sharply in the rear than in the front, but there may be variations.

The L series hoods are a different matter. I have one of the repros and, while it did seem a bit less springy than an original going onto the front sight ramp, it hasn't loosened up. In fact, I can't remember which of my guns I put it on, and you can't tell one from the other visually. I did find an original hood on eBay the other day for $25, but that happens about as often as the appearance of a comet. I think there would be some market for a high-quality repro with properly tempered spring steel, if it could be sold a few dollars cheaper than the vendor in Montana (he whose name must not be spoken). There are an awful lot of Sakos out there that have parted company with their hoods, and I think at least some few of them would like a replacement. Also, if I recall correctly the L-series hoods will also fit the M55/M65 series Tikkas. I am not dead sure of that, and I can't check because neither of my two current M55's has sights.

AIII Carbine 30-06 1.JPG

tilleyman likes this.
  6. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hmm.. interesting.
    Seems there must have been local variants for different export markets, most of what appear to be OEM hoods found on L or A series Sako rifles here in Australia have angled faces. Usually the rear face is more angled than the front... but not always!
    There are also variations in the front sight ramp, with earlier versions having fine checkering on three faces vs a coarser pattern on only the upper face on later variants with scalloped sides.
    Further variants with a front mount hole hidden under the blade or exposed.

Williams only seem to now list one front sight hood, for their streamlined ramps...

Sako L579 ramp and hood fitted.JPG Sako L579 ramps.JPG Sako A series ramp.JPG

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The "L" and "A"-series covers a span from 1946 to the late 1980's -- about 40 years or so. There were numerous incarnations of rifle features over that period. Early sight hoods were typically square on both ends. Later, a slant began to show up on some. And Sako also sourced its sights and sight accessories from different places at different times -- as pointed out, some were outsourced to the American gunsight company Williams in later years. As with virtually all Sako features, there is no "bright line" of when such changes occurred, so I don't worry too much about the shape of sight hoods -- if they fit they're fine.

By the way, the sight hoods that SCC member Tracy took the trouble to have made were EXCELLENT reproductions. I didn't realize at the time that I should have bought many more than the half-dozen or so I did buy. Now that they (and the excellent repro ring screws) are in the hands of the "Gunfather" their price has become much more precious.

sraaw and tilleyman like this.
  8. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    I was thinking (which will probably get me in trouble again) that the angled hood showed up with the Model 72’s, during the Garcia period of imports. The square hoods were used with earlier Firearms International Imports. Of course with the overlapping production to import ratios it makes sense that some late , pre M 72 style rifles were shipped with the newer angled hoods.
    eBay is a decent place to try as well as GB and other web stores.
    Tracy’s hoods are awesome if you can still find them, and the hoods from the place that will not be spoken are ok , but don’t fit as well.
    Sako front site hoods are just hoods..until you mount the Sako peep site. Then it becomes something wonderful.

Hippie

tilleyman likes this.