• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Show us your knives!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Here are two from Africa.

This one is from the Samburu people in northern Kenya. There's a national park up there, which harbored Kenya's only population of the white rhino. I'm not sure if the rhinos are still around or not; they were badly decimated by poaching and habitat loss. The local people set up stands outside the park gate to sell souvenirs. This knife was made for the tourist trade, but it's quite sharp and identical to the traditional knives many of the people still use. I got this in the mid-70's when I lived in Kenya.
Samburu 1a.jpg

This one is from somewhere in East Africa, but I don't recall exactly where. Most likely Ethiopia, but possibly Somalia, Sudan, or northern Kenya. The handle is probably cow horn.
East Africa 1a.jpg

Vgc252I.jpg

e4HwxwU.jpg

yN1AIeN.jpg

HUM4IaR.jpg

Very nice knives everyone....
This knife is nothing spectacular, but the sheath is a one of a kind. Down under knives...
Real crocodile and stitched with kangaroo.
A movie prop company commissioned this in Austria and somehow I ended up with it.
Crockadile Dundee movie helped the big knife population grow for sure. CDSheath1b.jpg CDsheath1a.jpg CDSheath1f.jpg CDSheathMagazine.jpg CrocodileDundee-Thatsaknifescene-8x6.jpg TakaCrock2.jpg

Waterwolf's giant folder reminds me of the Italian folding bayonets for the 1938 model 7.35mm Carcano-Terni carbine. Finland had some of these in the Continuation War, but they were mainly issued to rear-echelon units. I used to have one, but it wasn't SA marked so I let it go in order to get rid of an extra Terni I didn't want.
Carbine+Bayonet 2a.jpg

Here's another one from Finland. This is a civilian-sale version of the puukko issued to Finnish special forces. There's a multi-purpose hanger on the other side of the scabbard that can be used to hang it from various kinds of load-bearing equipment.
Finn SF 1a.jpg Finn SF 2a.jpg

Waterwolf's giant folder reminds me of the Italian folding bayonets for the 1938 model 7.35mm Carcano-Terni carbine. Finland had some of these in the Continuation War, but they were mainly issued to rear-echelon units. I used to have one, but it wasn't SA marked so I let it go in order to get rid of an extra Terni I didn't want.
View attachment 29388
That is very interesting. I had never seen one before.

Working knives. Since I took the photos, several have been sold or given away. (5 of the laminated-steel Mora knives on the right are brand new. I bought them last fall at a local gunshow for $7. (US) each.) My favorite knives these days are the laminated-stainless Helle, Norway knives (bought used) and the big-handled Finnish Puukkos, all on the left. I like the big birch handles. You can easily reshape them a bit to fit your hand.

The last photo is of my butchering knives. Wostenholm, Sabatier, Henckels, etc. I get these at thrift stores and flea markets. I like the old carbon steel filleting knives for de-boning deer/moose, very flexible, rubbery. The one with the dark handle (Ruko, Solingen, top photo, center) cost $3. at a flea market and has the best ergonomic fit of any knife handle I have tried. I got rid of the stainless Finnish Rapalla filleting knife next to it. Maybe okay for fish but not flexible enough for de-boning venison.

Ha1Apnk.jpg
YjbTU32.jpg

gsVMRXk.jpg

FWXTywV.jpg

Last edited:
Here it is open. The rifle is a Finnish contract gun, marked with SA. The bayonet in the photo is not Finn marked, which is why I let it go.
View attachment 29394

I am impressed by that bayonet. Is it Italian made? Roughly what year would it have been made? Where could I get more information on it? I am not really up on the world of bayonets.

Last edited:
Working knives. Since I took the photos, several have been sold or given away. (5 of the laminated-steel Mora knives on the right are brand new. I bought them last fall at a local gunshow for $7. (US) each.) My favorite knives these days are the laminated-stainless Helle, Norway knives (bought used) and the big-handled Finnish Puukkos, all on the left. I like the big birch handles. You can easily reshape them a bit to fit your hand.

The last photo is of my butchering knives. Wostenholm, Sabatier, Henckels, etc. I get these at thrift stores and flea markets. I like the old carbon steel filleting knives for de-boning deer/moose, very flexible, rubbery. The one with the dark handle (Ruko, Solingen, top photo, center) cost $3. at a flea market and has the best ergonomic fit of any knife handle I have tried. I got rid of the stainless Finnish Rapalla filleting knife next to it. Not flexible enough.

Ha1Apnk.jpg
YjbTU32.jpg

gsVMRXk.jpg

FWXTywV.jpg

I believe in the knife world that would be called an "arsenal". Very nice array!

I am impressed by that bayonet. Is it Italian made? Roughly what year would it have been made? Where could I get more information on it? I am not really up on the world of bayonets.
That bayonet is Italian, WWII era. It was made for, and issued with, the Model 38 (1938) Carcano-Terni 7.35mm short rifle. There was a belt scabbard to carry the bayonet in the folded position. Finland bought several thousand of those rifles and an unknown quantity of bayonets in its scramble for arms in the Winter War. The Italian rifles were not highly regarded by the troops, who preferred the familiar (and much more rugged and powerful) Finnish Mosin Nagants. The Ternis were mostly issued to rear-echelon troops, to avoid the logistical problem posed by a different caliber of ammunition. The Finnish connection is the reason I have one in my collection; apart from that I know rather little about Italian arms. The Italians did build cavalry carbines with integral folding bayonets, but I don't know of any other detachable folding bayonet like the one in the photo. The SKS rifle and an early version of the Chinese AK also had integral folding bayonets.

The Italian folding bayonet is in demand among collectors and goes for $200-400. I would like to find one with the Finnish SA property mark to go with the rifle.

Back