Share your Records findings here!

Discussion in 'Factory Records Services' started by deergoose, Oct 4, 2015.

1. 7x57hunter

7x57hunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    I received my factory information on my L57…I was wondering if anyone knows what “dpt w/20” means? Also what does “lubbal” mean on the others?

Attached Files:

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "Lubbal" indicates that serial number was assigned to an action-only, not a finished rifle. Sako supplied L57 actions to other manufacturers who produced rifles on them for numerous proprietary brands like Ward's, Colt, and NAACO.

The letter and number codes indicate some of the features of a rifle such as with or without sights, whether walnut or birch stock, etc. However, we do not have complete information on exactly which features are indicated by which number/letter codes. We do know that "dpt" does indicate a walnut stock.

3. 7x57hunter

7x57hunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Thank you! If you are collecting information mine is a “sporter” perhaps they designated between sporter and Heavy Barrel

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Heavy Barrels were noted with an "R" for "raskas", meaning heavy or fat in the inspection records, the Deluxes were marked either "Dlx" or "Deluxe", and full stocks were marked "Mann". Standard sporters had no notation. About 1968 the shipping records began segregating the Standards, Deluxes, Mannlichers, and Heavy Barrels on separate pages so it is a bit easier to know a rifle's configuration (as well as to find it in the shipping records which are not in serial number order.)

So far as we have been able to determine, there are no notations in the factory records that will tell us things like the floorplate pattern on a Deluxe, or whether a barrel was stamped "Bofors Steel". Of course, the vast majority of Sakos in the U.S. were originally shipped to the U.S. importer at the time (F.I., Garcia, Stoeger), but we do run across a lot of Sakos in the U.S. which originally went to European outlets. Most of these were likely "bring backs" by U.S. Servicemen stationed in Europe; and some were shipped to Rod & Gun clubs located on or near U. S. bases. Perhaps the most interesting note in the shipping records are a few that went to "U.S. Embassy". These appear to be presentations to visiting American dignitaries such as one presented to Vice-President Lyndon Johnson in 1962 and three Deluxe Finnbears in 7mm Rem Mag presented to each of the Apollo 11 Astronauts.