Share your Records findings here!

Discussion in 'Factory Records Services' started by deergoose, Oct 4, 2015.

1. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Roughly is about all anyone can do. Sako didn't build rifles in sequential order so trying to date one is difficult at best. What records we do have show rifles with serial numbers next to each other being shipped years apart & serial numbers thousands apart being shipped on the same day. Your serial number would lead me to say early to mid 1960's, but it's nothing more than a guess. Searching thru the hand written records is a tedious & time consuming task, but we are lucky to have the data we have, as Sako didn't put much importance on record keeping. If your barrel is stamped "Bofors Steel" it is 1968 or earlier.

Rogan Kinnear and Chinese Bandit like this.

2. Chinese Bandit

Chinese Bandit Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Thank you sir. for your well thought reply and help. These are all things I am learning more about based on this site. 'Keep your powder dry'
    Regards

3. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Probably 1965 or so.....but the records service would confirm inspection/shipping dates. I highly recommend doing this, as it removes all doubt and cuts out the guessing. Good luck!

DeerGoose

4. pcunder

pcunder Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I had the service done on a 308 579 Deluxe/Fish Gods sporter... with fold-down iron sights.
    It was inspected 5/10/60 and shipped on 5/14 to F.I. with 3 other 308s.
    Other than the crushed pad and light handling marks, its nearly perfect.

I haven't fired it yet but knew it was a keeper for my small collection when I 1st saw it.
    It came to me with a new Sako pad (loose) and an old Weaver steel 4x scope on some VERY early (1-side screws) SAKO rings. For some reason, the seller talked more about the scope than the rifle. How DID they slide those 1-piece early rings past the objective bell, anyway? (or past the w/e knobs..??)

It's the earliest 579 I have. You can tell that its very early bcz the '9' is put in the place where the space ('_') used to be before the serial 'No.' i.e there is no spacing between the modle # and the S/# as it should be.

I saw an early 579 long ago (online I think?) that had the '9' hand stamped as it was not inline nor spaced properly...so "mass" production wasn't fully validated yet.

Attached Files:

5. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    just don't get much better than that !! flat bolt, fish gods and knockout wood !!! You got a keeper that's for sure.
    thanks for sharing the info and pics !
    DeerGoose

6. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Great thread!

Most of my Sakos are Stoeger Imports. Two bought new. I have four 'A' series bring backs without import marks. The only provenance I know is they all came from Germany via service members.

7. pcunder

pcunder Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanx DeerGoose, My 'keepers' are nothing like yours as you have some real doozies...(or is it "Duses"?) What an awesome array rare SAKOs.
    I've got a couple more that I'd like to get done. Another 308/Bofors that I want to verify was a Deluxe or not... It came in a Std stock.
    And a couple L57 Bofors 243s. Seems that's all the early one's I've got that may be worth researching.

Does the service also do Coltsman, Browning Safaris?

When I bought THIS 308, the guy also had a 220 Swift that I 'passed' on bcz I was too worried about the barrel being burned out.
    I waited too long to inspect it as it was gone the next time I saw him with my bore-scope in hand... Snooze/loose...

deergoose likes this.
  8. Sydwaiz

Sydwaiz Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Great service! Just found out my dad's L579 started out as an action only from October 17, 1960.

Attached Files:

• L579.jpg
      L579.jpg
      File size:
      908.4 KB
      Views:
    deergoose likes this.
  9. Heatheroo

Heatheroo Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    VL63 SN 2678 .308

Sako Model VL63 serial number 2678 was inspected 3 January 1969. It was booked for shipping to Firma Albrect Kind (Germany) 29 January 1969 in shipping lot 38219 as one of six similar caliber .308 Sako VL63 rifles.

Attached Files:

deergoose, susanna and Rogan Kinnear like this.
  10. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Got my results today.
    Regarding Sako Model L579, Serial Number 913##

A search of the Sako factory records shows that this rifle was inspected 20 October 1972 and
    is in calibre .308 Winchester.

Sako Model L579 Serial Number 913## was booked for shipping to the D. W. Custer (Australia) company on 3 January 1973, in shipping lot #25837. It was one of 5 Sako calibre .308 rifles in that shipment.

Has a comment section with Dt/m28 in it. Does anyone know what that means?
    Screenshot_20200725-211441_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  11. sakofan

sakofan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I just received some records for a couple of Sako L469’s as well as an L46 .222 and L461 .222 magnum. I find it amazing that most of my rifles have seen more of the world than I have!
    The L46 #38339 was inspected in 1957 but shipping info was illegible.
    The L461 #89825 was inspected November 1965 and shipped in the same month to Ab Calic in Sweden. The seller of this firearm actually told me that the guy he got it from here in Australia was Swedish and brought the gun with him when he emigrated.

Interestingly my heavy barrel L469 #45385 and sporter L469 #45269 were both inspected in May 1960 and shipped on 14 May 1960 to Firearms International as part of consecutive lots. What are the chances of purchasing these two rifles from 2 different people at different times only to find they were in the same shipment together to USA. They then of course had to be imported to Australia. Great stuff.

deergoose, susanna and Rogan Kinnear like this.
  12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Our SCC President (Jim, "L61R") acquired two L46's a while back from different sellers which turned out to be identical rifles shipped in the same lot to the same outlet. Nearly 70 years later, like twins separated at birth, one was nearly pristine and the other one well-used and somewhat modified. They had led very different lives.

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  13. Murkula

Murkula Active Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Rogan:

Looking at what is written on these comment lines ("Huomautuksia") it seems that "dt./m28" is possibly short for "diopteritähtäin m28", which translates to "Diopter sight m28".

These comments seem to contain, among other things, information about sights. For example, on one line there is text "Hop. jyv." which would most likely be short for "Hopea jyvä", which translates to "Silver bead".

If you post a scan of the whole page, I'm happy to give a shot at deciphering more of the abbreviations and other text on the comments.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Bret, Rogan Kinnear, Wayne and 5 others like this.
  14. sakofan

sakofan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    That’s great stuff. Finding this information makes the record service so worthwhile.
    On another interesting note I purchased a mint .243 varmint L579 a few years back from a colleague that imported it from the USA. The records showed it to be delivered to Firearms International in 1968. A while after purchasing it I removed the butt plate for inspection and found a small piece of paper with the name and address of a gentleman in New Jersey. I managed to track him down on Facebook and he still had the original purchase receipt for it. It was a bit like a message in a bottle. We have maintained contact ever since.

15. Rogan Kinnear

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    How good is that?

16. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Murkula,

That would be great if you could help with translating some of the codes and abbreviations in the records. We have been able to decipher some of them, but quite a few others remain a question mark. In the past we've asked some native speakers of Finnish to help, but none of them have been familiar with firearms jargon, so their assistance was limited. We've also used Google Translate with some limited success.

I'll send you several sample pages of records from both the inspection ledger and the shipping ledger via Private Conversation. Your analysis would be extremely helpful!

17. Murkula

Murkula Active Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Sounds good - I think this will be a very interesting project!

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  18. Rogan Kinnear

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    That is the only page I have however I have cut off the serial numbers.

Screenshot_20200805-223135_Word.jpg