Share your Records findings here!

Discussion in 'Factory Records Services' started by deergoose, Oct 4, 2015.

1. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Roughly is about all anyone can do. Sako didn't build rifles in sequential order so trying to date one is difficult at best. What records we do have show rifles with serial numbers next to each other being shipped years apart & serial numbers thousands apart being shipped on the same day. Your serial number would lead me to say early to mid 1960's, but it's nothing more than a guess. Searching thru the hand written records is a tedious & time consuming task, but we are lucky to have the data we have, as Sako didn't put much importance on record keeping. If your barrel is stamped "Bofors Steel" it is 1968 or earlier.

Chinese Bandit likes this.

2. Chinese Bandit

Chinese Bandit Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Thank you sir. for your well thought reply and help. These are all things I am learning more about based on this site. 'Keep your powder dry'
    Regards

3. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Probably 1965 or so.....but the records service would confirm inspection/shipping dates. I highly recommend doing this, as it removes all doubt and cuts out the guessing. Good luck!

DeerGoose

4. pcunder

pcunder Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I had the service done on a 308 579 Deluxe/Fish Gods sporter... with fold-down iron sights.
    It was inspected 5/10/60 and shipped on 5/14 to F.I. with 3 other 308s.
    Other than the crushed pad and light handling marks, its nearly perfect.

I haven't fired it yet but knew it was a keeper for my small collection when I 1st saw it.
    It came to me with a new Sako pad (loose) and an old Weaver steel 4x scope on some VERY early (1-side screws) SAKO rings. For some reason, the seller talked more about the scope than the rifle. How DID they slide those 1-piece early rings past the objective bell, anyway? (or past the w/e knobs..??)

It's the earliest 579 I have. You can tell that its very early bcz the '9' is put in the place where the space ('_') used to be before the serial 'No.' i.e there is no spacing between the modle # and the S/# as it should be.

I saw an early 579 long ago (online I think?) that had the '9' hand stamped as it was not inline nor spaced properly...so "mass" production wasn't fully validated yet.

Attached Files:

gowyo, deergoose and Chinese Bandit like this.
  5. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    just don't get much better than that !! flat bolt, fish gods and knockout wood !!! You got a keeper that's for sure.
    thanks for sharing the info and pics !
    DeerGoose

6. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Great thread!

Most of my Sakos are Stoeger Imports. Two bought new. I have four 'A' series bring backs without import marks. The only provenance I know is they all came from Germany via service members.

7. pcunder

pcunder Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanx DeerGoose, My 'keepers' are nothing like yours as you have some real doozies...(or is it "Duses"?) What an awesome array rare SAKOs.
    I've got a couple more that I'd like to get done. Another 308/Bofors that I want to verify was a Deluxe or not... It came in a Std stock.
    And a couple L57 Bofors 243s. Seems that's all the early one's I've got that may be worth researching.

Does the service also do Coltsman, Browning Safaris?

When I bought THIS 308, the guy also had a 220 Swift that I 'passed' on bcz I was too worried about the barrel being burned out.
    I waited too long to inspect it as it was gone the next time I saw him with my bore-scope in hand... Snooze/loose...

8. Sydwaiz

Sydwaiz Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Great service! Just found out my dad's L579 started out as an action only from October 17, 1960.

Attached Files: