Second Run L57's

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by stonecreek, Apr 21, 2018.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    We've discussed the "second run" of L46's made in 1963-64. Some of them were Deluxes in some rather scarce calibers like 7x33 and .25-20.

However, I don't know if anyone is aware of a "second run" of L57's. I don't know how many might have been made and haven't been able to comprehensively sift through the records, but I have found twenty-five of them, all in .243, made in December of 1965. That's six years after the L579 supposedly made the L57 obsolete.

Only one of these 25 was distributed in 1965 (since they were made only in December of that year that is understandable). So it is the only one with a serial number which can be checked against the inspection records. It checks out with a 1965 date. (See the attachments below).

There is also a single L57 showing in the shipping records in 1967. It bears a serial number consistent with the L57's (9,000's), but it is listed in the inspection records as an L579. Hard to know which it actually is, but it is a Heavy Barrel.

It seems pretty amazing that parts for the L57 would sit around the factory for six years before being made into a rifle, but we've found screwier things with Sakos before!

Attached Files:

topgear likes this.

2. kj60

kj60 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks Stonecreek - Fascnating indeed!

3. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Great findings stonecreek. Is there anything more in the records about the .222 mag L57’s ?