Sears J.C. Higgins Model 52 made by High Standard

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by stonecreek, Mar 25, 2013.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I stumbled across a website called www.histandard.info which has all kinds of information about guns manufactured by High Standard. Sears had a long-standing relationship with High Standard and marketed a number of High Standard-produced guns under the Sears or J.C. Higgins name.

One of those made by High Standard for Sears was the J.C. Higgins Model 52, a .222 built on a Sako L-46 action. The rifle was well-finished with a walnut stock, generous hand checkering, and a 26-inch mid-weight barrel. The histandard.info website has a chart showing that the Model 52 was first offered by Sears in mid-1955 and was last offered in mid-1959. There is no information to show how many Model 52's were produced, but it does show that their serial numbers ranged from rather low to rather high in the L-46 series.

I'm still trying to determine if High Standard, which was located virtually across the street from Colt, was the maker of some of Colt's early Colt-Sako rifles, as well as perhaps the Montgomery Ward L-57 WesternField rifles in .243 and .308.

2. iskra

iskra Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Sometimes I'm a bit slow about answering Threads! :) But then in March 2013, I was just getting settled in my home in Oceanside, Ca moving from Norther Ca.
    I have a quite nice Sears Model 52, Serial 24035 in .222 Rem. Your Post stonecreek of just the other day, 25 March 2013, references a High Standard Website with serial number range info for these Sears rifles. Sadly that info is gone and it appears the Website will cease in entirely in Oct of this (2019) year. Do you by chance have that info or any concerning my rifle. It has about all the standard features I've read including 26" Barrel. Bright, dished bolt and stamped trigger guard assembly. The quite decent stock is with cheekpiece and straight comb. I acquired it in the eighties from a frustrated owner who couldn't find a magazine, which, I now have.
    My assumption these rifles were serialed within the normal Sako L46 range. Long ago I saw a later Sako L46 with the nicer non-stamped trigger guard, but terribly scratched and appearing alloy. Were these rifles offered with the milled steel guards too?
    I'm going to try to post a couple of my file pix, perhaps to add to your work here if interested plus more available. R294-2U.jpg R294-3U.jpg

ricksengines likes this.
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, the actions were taken from the regular Sako production run and had the same (somewhat random) serial numbering. They will be found in the inspection records under their number and listed as "lukkolaite", which means "lock mechanism", or as we would say, "action".

Late L46's did have milled bottom metal, but I've never seen a Sears Model 52 with anything other than the stamped metal.