Scoping L46 7x33 - which height Sako ringmounts?

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by alpine hunter, Jan 5, 2018.

1. alpine hunter

alpine hunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Chasing a set of early Sako scope mounts for my L46 7x33. Scope is 26mm tube, 4x36 Pecar.
    Am I likely to need high mounts or might I get away with mediums?
    I've got a cheap set on at the moment to play around with bolt clearance and it's about perfect. I will get some measurements in the morning so that we can match the height up with the right Sako mounts.
    If anyone in AUS has a spare set of the original Sako ringmounts in decent condition, I am interested in purchasing. Itching to get this 7x33 out on some hunts...

I will probably be looking for another set of high ringmounts for the 222 once I find a nice vintage 6x scope for it too.

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi AH, you will get away with using the mediums and that scope combination.
    I can’t quite remember if the bolt touches the ocular slightly or not though and whether or not you need to remove the ladder insert from the rear sight. 55A51ACC-B33E-4E28-A9F7-8A3B71018931.jpeg
    I use the highs with mine as it suits my profile a little better.

3. alpine hunter

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    [​IMG]

At this mounting height, I've got about 2.5mm bolt clearance and 4mm clearance from the rear sight.

I've seen it listed somewhere on here but can't find the measurements of the various height ringmounts. Does someone have a list they can post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norway.375 likes this.
  4. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Could only find a box with imperial measurements -
    79518832-5742-413A-8BB2-9DA02A1B192B.jpeg

Norway.375 and alpine hunter like this.
  5. alpine hunter

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks.
    High = 15/32 = 11.9mm
    Med = 5/16 = 7.9mm
    Low = 3/32 = 2.4mm

Looks like I need High for sure.

Love the photo of your rifle on the fallow antler too!

Norway.375 likes this.
  6. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    No worries mate, I’ll have a look and let you know if I’ve got a spare set laying around.

7. ronnie schneider

ronnie schneider Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I want to mount a K6 on an L46. Any idea what height ring that would require?

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "Medium" in either original Sako ringmounts or Leupold one-piece ringmounts will do it -- assuming yours is the later L46 without a rear sight.

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Depends on what, if any, rear sight you need to clear & the diameter of the scope's objective bell. If you have the scope & the rifle in hand it would be a simple matter of measuring the distance between the scope tube & the receiver dovetails that allows for proper clearance, comparing that to the different heights shown in the above posts, & getting the appropriate ringmount. If you have no rear sight, mediums will work just fine.

10. ronnie schneider

ronnie schneider Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have a rear sight so I guess high. Thank you guys for the quick responses.

11. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Not so fast . . . later L46's had the rear sights set further forward than early ones, which often allowed the bell of the mounted scope to sit to the rear of the sight rather than above it. All depends on how far forward your scope sits (and a Weaver K-6 is a pretty long scope compared to more recent scopes), how far rearward your sight sits, and how large the objective bell of the scope (which may depend on whether it has an adjustable objective collar that adds to its diameter).

With the L46's (at least those made prior to the introduction of the higher Monte Carlo comb) it is important to get the scope as low as physically possible. The drop in the stock was designed for iron sights and any scope is going to be a bit higher than optimal for quick eye alignment due to the L46's low comb.

12. ronnie schneider

ronnie schneider Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Mine is a 1955 version and the rear sight is far back. That K6 is long and I believe my only ring choice is high. Thanks again for all the input.

13. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Not necessarily. The extra 2mm may still not be enough to clear the sight. Why are you set on using the Weaver? I would remove part or all of the sight before I put "high" ringmounts on a low combed L46 no matter what the scope, but that's just me. Like I said before, why do you not just measure things you have in hand instead of searching for answers on the web???

14. mattimoose

mattimoose Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    my 7x33 has 1 inch, high rings. Steeltube, Weaver K4 would not clear bolt. Put 1 inch red dot. superb and using the see thru holes as a peep, my daughter hit a stationary clay pigeon at 50 yards! Ultimate low-light package!