Scope shim location

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by gowyo, Jan 18, 2018.

1. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Howdy,

I mounted up an older vari-x III 6.5x20 Leupold on my A1 22 PPC today. It is mounted in a set of OEM High 1" windage adjustable Sako rings. The parallax adjustment ring just barely touched the barrel. I mean barely, if I gently lift on the objective, I could adjust the ring without contact. Otherwise it's slightly ratchets on the barrel. I don't think any contact is good between barrel and scope, so I chose to shim it with some small strips of aluminum. I placed the aluminum on the bottom halves of the Rings and that worked, but then I thought would they be best there or at the bottom of the Ring bases. I do know that would slightly decrease the amount of bite that the mounts have on the receiver, but barely. Anyone have preferences and reasoning they wished to share? TIA, Gary

2. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I'd shim under the front base rather than inside the ring so you dont risk damage to the scope tube. Just my preference, either would probably work if it needs as little as you indicate.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No problem with the shims under the scope tube. I've done it a number of times when the front and rear bases of non-Sako rings were slightly mismatched in height. I think you would find shims under the mount bottom a much more iffy proposition since the area where the shims would sit is so relatively small.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As one side of the ringmount is machined to match the dovetail a shim under the bottom of the ringmount may not be the best option, as it would prevent the two surfaces from mating properly. Shimming the bottom of the rings would be the way I would do it. If done properly you will not damage your scope tube.

5. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Thanks all,

That was my initial thought and I did cut the strips to be just a little smaller than the ring width. I appreciate this forum to bounce ideas off of people with more experience and knowledge than I. I might experiment putting shims under the bases just to see how it looks, but I'll probably end up sticking with the shims in the Rings. So close, if I moved the scope half an inch forward it probably wouldn't touch, that might be another option.
    I hope to get out this weekend if the wind is down.