• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

scope rings vintage 1957 sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

zolynn

Am trying to learn what to do to mount a crossfire scope on a vintage 1957 (vreified) 30-06. front and rear mounts are different heights. Please help. Been in family since purchased.

Thanks. My rifle appears to have Sako bases already mounted so need rings. Suggestions for sources.
Interesting! Sako did make adapter bases for its Mauser actioned rifles so that they could use the same ringmounts as other Sakos, but you don't see them very often. It that is what you have (a narrower tapered dovetail on the rear and a wider tapered dovetail on the front) then you can use the same ringmounts that fit any other Sako (those from Leupold are probably the easiest to get and work nicely).

Now, the front receiver ring on a Mauser is higher than the rear bridge, so the bases should compensate for this -- if they don't then someone has put the wrong bases on your rifle.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I think what you are saying is the rear base is thicker than the front base. As Stone said, the action bridges are a different height above the bore centerline, so the difference in base thickness makes the tops of your bases level with the bore centerline, which is how they are supposed to be. The Leupold one piece ringmounts should work nicely if your bases are the Sako dovetail style. They come in different heights to allow different scope bell diameters to clear the barrel. Good Luck!!

Interesting! Sako did make adapter bases for its Mauser actioned rifles so that they could use the same ringmounts as other Sakos, but you don't see them very often. It that is what you have (a narrower tapered dovetail on the rear and a wider tapered dovetail on the front) then you can use the same ringmounts that fit any other Sako (those from Leupold are probably the easiest to get and work nicely).

Now, the front receiver ring on a Mauser is higher than the rear bridge, so the bases should compensate for this -- if they don't then someone has put the wrong bases on your rifle.

Getting interesting now. Well sounds like I may have wrong bases, but interestingly the front ring mount is about .165 inches shorter than the rear. seems like someone was making the staggered ring mounts to compensate for bases. Now really confused. Gun is a sub moa shooter and would like to take on my elk hunt. 4x scope just not enough for these tired old eyes.

Getting interesting now. Well sounds like I may have wrong bases, but interestingly the front ring mount is about .165 inches shorter than the rear. seems like someone was making the staggered ring mounts to compensate for bases. Now really confused. Gun is a sub moa shooter and would like to take on my elk hunt. 4x scope just not enough for these tired old eyes.
Should note the dovetails I have are exactly what you describe, wider dovetail front and narrower dovetail rear.

Latest posts

Back