• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 scope ring question

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Heatheroo

I am getting around to mounting a scope on my Finnwolf. I need to order some scope rings from Leupold.

For a standard 1" scope, say a.....3x9x40, do I need low or high rings?

U gotta do the scope math. Outside Dia of objective/2, then figure the height of rings to center point. Add five or more cm for clearance. Something like that. Sometimes they give ring height in inches, gotta convert to mm. Or vice versa.

If you have the original bases for Sako rings then "medium" height is probably correct. If using Leupold (Redfield style) turn-in bases then you may be able to get by with "lows", but only a trial will tell for certain since manufacturers' specs are often erroneous.

Ummm . . . I doubt Sako or Leupold "lows" clearing the bell of a 40mm objective. I like my scopes mounted low and don't require any more clearance than a cigarette paper, but I don't think lows will work. I have lows on a 2-7x28 Leupold which just barely clears the barrel of a standard sporter. It's not a Finnwolf, but the barrel contours are similar. A 3-9x33 Leupold compact will clear with lows in some applications.

Ummm . . . I doubt Sako or Leupold "lows" clearing the bell of a 40mm objective. I like my scopes mounted low and don't require any more clearance than a cigarette paper, but I don't think lows will work. I have lows on a 2-7x28 Leupold which just barely clears the barrel of a standard sporter. It's not a Finnwolf, but the barrel contours are similar. A 3-9x33 Leupold compact will clear with lows in some applications.
Agree. And if the 40mm scope has an adjustable objective, add some more clearance. I've found that the Leupold 40mm AO scopes require Sako high rings on most L- and A-series Sakos. I don't know about the Leupold rings.

A VariX2c worked very well on my FWs with Low Vintage Sakos. The Leupolds did the same My Burris full fields did just as well. I am sure a short scope would have some trouble but anything I tried with a 40mm objective was fine. Now if you are scoping an L579, all bets are off for the lows. You need the mediums.

Back