• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Scope Mounting Questions

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

What are the the correct Sako Optilock Bases and 30mm ring height for a L61R Finnbear 30.06 that I want to put a new 30mm scope on with a 44 or 50 mm objective lens? (long action, short action, other action? My Finnbear seems to be too old to be on the Sako Optilock guidelines from the Sako website.

Also, which Sako Optilock mount base and 30mm rings should I get for the new S20 30.06 and a 30mm diameter scope with a 50mm objective lens?

Finally, I currently have an old Weaver scope attached to my L61 Finnbear with OEM (Vintage) ring mounts which I like a lot (the vintage ring mounts, not the old scope). What torque should be applied to the round knob that secures the vintage ring mounts to the dovetail on the rifle and the screws that secure the upper half of the ring to the bottom half?

Thanks!

Mike

There is a chart on the Sako website showing the correct Optilock bases and rings for various Sako models and scope diameters.

Here's a Leupold VX-R 4-12x50 with a 30mm tube in high Optilock rings on a L61R .270 win. (Oh boy...I didn't recall that "scratch" in this stock. Checked it out and found a hair from my yellow lab! :))

img_0439-jpeg.19051

Here's the same scope mounted in Leupold medium QR rings and bases. I'm sure you can find the height measurement for the medium QRs at Leupold.com
img_0444-jpeg.19053

If you want to see a 44mm objective in the QR medium rings also, let me know.

Hope these pics help you out.

As for torque on scope mount screws, the general advice I've seen on this forum for the large thumbscrew on the vintage mounts is to tighten it down by hand first and then tighten it just a bit more with a large-blade screwdriver--maybe a 1/8th turn. No more than that. Others can chime in if I've got this wrong.

For the ring screws, in general, most sources suggest something on the order of 15-20 in.-lbs.

Last edited:
One important note on the large thumb nuts - You must use a Weaver type driver tool on them - never a regular screwdriver. Most of the old-style Sako rings you see have damaged slots on the thumb nuts, and using a regular screwdriver is the reason why. You can get the correct tools from Brownells, or from a well-stocked gun shop. Here's a link to an old post of mine on proper care and feeding of original Sako rings.The post includes photos of the tools.

https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-scope-ring-tips-use-the-proper-tools.13883/

Hi, Hope I am posting this question in the right forum. I have recently purchased on internet a pair of original SAKO scope mounts old style. After taking them to a gunsmith in order to mount them on a L579 Forester rifle from 1969, i was told that both rings are rear rings and they both have the recoil nob on the bottom. The seller cannot replace a correct front ring and suggests I get one of those knobs filed off or cut off a then mount such a ring on the front dovetail. Is this at all a viable solution and if we do this do I risk damaging the rifle if the ring goes loose due to recoil etc. I do not know whether the front and rear mounts/rings are otherwise identical, appart from the recoil knob ? I will thy and post a picture here of the two rear rings.

Attachments

• DSC_0501.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 33
I dont think a rear ring will fit on the wider front reciever, even if the pin is removed, so unfortunately the rings will likely be of no use to you at all.

It is possible, but not typically something that is done. The front dovetail is somewhat wider than the rear dovetail, thus the claws on the front mount which grip the groove in the dovetail must be narrower. It would be theoretically possible with a rear ring to machine off the little indexing lug and machine the claws shorter, which would allow them to properly grip the front dovetail.

This might cost more than simply buying a proper set of rings (check SakoSource by clicking on the banner at the top of this page, or others who might offer a set of rings.) You can offer your two rear rings for sale and someone will want one or two of them to complete a set which has a missing or defective rear ring, or simply for parts. This would partially offset your cost of a "new" set of "old" (original) rings.

If you do decide to attempt to modify a rear ring to sit on the front dovetail I wouldn't worry about strength. The tapered design of the dovetails makes Sako rings ever tighter as the gun is fired.

Pedro from looking at the picture of your rings it appears that someone has already swapped the clamps on the right ring pictured as the gap is wider than the left pictured ring and therefore if you grind or mill off the protrusion of the right pictured ring it should mount on the front scope base.
good luck

The right ring in your pic has the wider dove tail to fit the receivers front dove tail. I don't know why or how the pin got on the bottom of the ring but if you would Dremel it off it should fit your rifle.

Thanks to everyone here for the input, appreciate it greatly. I will give it another try with
a different gunsmith and see what they think. If I get the same reluctant answer, will proceed as suggested and
return or try to sell one of them.
Thanks again and regards, P.

Back