Sako TRGs Scope mounting on a 995

Discussion in 'Sako TRGs' started by barreltwister, Apr 6, 2019.

1. barreltwister

barreltwister Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada

2. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    IMHO As a M995 lover I would think seriously of the consequences. Increased height of the scope. Increased weight of the rifle since the the M995 weight is already substantial. And also decrease the value of the rifle by drilling and tapping. My suggestion is to use Sako OptiLoc mounts which are very rugged and will be more suited for all around use. (With a strong scope tube will also serve as a good carrying handle.) Sakojim.

3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Most of the add on picatinny rails do not require any drilling and tapping. They utilize set screws. I personally don’t like them as they mar the finish and gouge the dovetails.

I agree with sakojim with regard to the Optilock ring and base system. You can purchase various heights of rings based on need, and also get extended bases to help with the overall action length.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  4. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Here's a picture that I saved on my desktop of a picatinny rail on a 995 action. I save the photo because I like the looks of this rifle and have the hope to someday find a bare action and build one like it.

Looks like this one slides over the dovetails and then must tighten with set screws. It wouldn't bother me with the set screws marks on the top of the dovetails on a project like this.

image_49060.jpg

5. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Yeah, I do agree with the configuration on a tactical set up. You can also buy a 20 MOA rail as well to stretch the capabilities in the elevation turret for extreme ranges.

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I like the Redfield/Burris mount for a TRGs/995. Use the one which has the front dovetail opening at the rear of the base, then use a front offset ring turned rearward. This will reduce the ring spacing to about that of the L579 and make it easy to mount nearly any scope of typical tube length.

An alternative, if you can find one, is to use the original Sako offset ringmounts. Most people assume that the front offset ring must be turned forward (like for a long scope on a short action). However, by reversing the clamps it can be turned rearward and afford you a shorter span on an action like the L61R or M995.

7. Johan Lindh

Johan Lindh Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    Sadly neither Near Mfg or Euro Optics produces their "tap-on" picatinny rails anymore. All due to Sako not taking care to manufacture their actions to tight enough tolerances.

Near Mfg do make a screw-on picatinny rail that is very nice. However, if you want to keep the rifle in its original state, drilling and taping doesn't work.

In the case of the picture posted by Rocky a lower mount would not work due to clearance issues with the scope. So the extra height is not a problem.

On one of my M995s I have a screw-on Near (allready installed when I bought it) on the other I will use extended Optilocks.