Scope mount question

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by mtang45, Jun 4, 2019.

1. mtang45

mtang45 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Just got back from a successful visit to the gunsmith. He was able to remove the "super glued" (literally) screws. Now I need to clean up the mess with some acetone, find some screw plugs for the D&T action and locate a suitable detachable mount.

Thanks all for the guidance!

[​IMG]

2. mtang45

mtang45 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Icebear, thanks for the heads up on the GB auction, however I cannot find them. Do you mind posting a link if they are still there?

Thanks,
    Mark

3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You find some idiotic stuff on guns, and screws secured with superglue or red Loctite are two of the most common blunders that a later owner has to fix. A gun screw should never be secured with anything stronger than blue Loctite. I'm happy your gunsmith was able to get those bases off. Pity about the holes in the bridges, but it's otherwise a really nice gun and you should be able to find scope bases that will cover the filled holes. Hopefully the holes are threaded for something like 6-48 or 8-40 so you can fill them with standard plug screws. Those bases are not commonly seen in the USA, which leads me to think they may have been mounted in Europe, If that is the case the threads are probably M3.5 or M4. I've never seen metric plug screws on this side of the Atlantic, so I hope I'm wrong about the threads. You might be able to make suitable plug screws by cutting the heads off regular screws and filing a slot in one end. Brownell's sells a special file for cutting screw slots. I used mine yesterday to make a headless set screw for a model train I was fixing for a friend. If push comes to shove, you may be able to force an inch plug screw into near-matching metric threads, since it doesn't have to hold anything and the screw will be softer than the metal of the receiver. Or, you or your smith could just run a tap into the hole so that a standard plug screw will fit. That would ruin the threads, but again, they don't actually have to hold anything and you can Loctite the plugs. Good luck.

mtang45 likes this.
  4. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Here you are. Fortunately, I had it on watch. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/807643404
    It's an auction, not a buy it now, and it closes in a couple of days. Those rings have been on GB for several weeks with no bids so your chances of snagging them are pretty good. You might want to e-mail the seller to see if he knows if the bases are correct for a long action (L61R, AIII, AV). You could also ask him for the part numbers on the bottom. I'm not sure how the sizing works on those particular rings.

Note that these are nominally low rings. However, the newer Sako rings are higher than most at any given nominal size, so the low rings will probably be enough for a typical 40mm objective scope. I prefer something smaller on a carbine anyway; my choice would be a 1.75-6x or 2.5-8x Leupold VX-III, both of which have a 36mm objective if I remember correctly. Or even a 1.5-5x, which has no objective bell at all. I've got one of those on my 9.3x62 Sako and it's a good scope if you don't need a lot of power.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    mtang45 likes this.
  5. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Mtang45, just a suggestion as the holes are already there, find the set of rings to suit the bases you took off.
    Someone in their wisdom has also milled/extended a little slot out of the rear dovetail.

6. mtang45

mtang45 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    deersako, are you talking about this area? I was wondering if that was original or not.

[​IMG]

icebear, thanks for the link. I have sent the question to the seller.

Mark

7. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Yes Mark, that short narrower slot.
    Does that correspond with a lug on that rear base you took off ?

8. mtang45

mtang45 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    The short little slot is the second screw hole for the rear base.

9. mtang45

mtang45 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    icebear, any possibility there may be 30mm rings available for the bases that are on the GB auction? I asked the seller what they fit and they answered "any dovetail receiver such as Vixen, Finnbear, etc.". The scope I was planning on using is 30mm. So I may pick those up for the bases, if there are 30mm rings available for the bases.

10. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    So the nitwit drilled and tapped the dovetails. My advice is to put filler screws in the holes and get a set of Sako or Leupold dovetail mounts and install them.

rick

11. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Of course it is :) !
    Get the rings to suit those bases !

mtang45 likes this.
  12. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    It might be difficult to find 30mm rings separate from the bases. I don't even know if they were marketed separately, or only packaged with bases. Those bases are long discontinued; I imagine that rings for them show up from time to time on eBay and Gunbroker, but how often is the question. I'm fairly confident that 30mm rings for those bases exist, but how common they are or where to get them is another question entirely. I believe there were also Tikka mounts made that used the same rings, so if you found a set of Tikka mounts with the rings you wanted, you could get those and just use the rings.

If you are set on that 30mm scope, you might be just as likely to find the 30mm rings for sale with the bases as separately. It's kind of a decision matrix, risk vs. reward. Depends on your priorities. Have you scanned eBay for two-piece Optilock mounts? There are usually some for sale. I don't like the newer Optilocks as well as the older ones we are discussing, but they will cover the holes and you can get 30mm rings. As far as I know, the old-style traditional Sako rings were only made in 1" and 26mm, so that would not be an option.

mtang45 likes this.
  13. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Needle in a haystack, mate. I've been collecting oddball European rifles for a long time and I've never seen bases like that except on guns that were put together in Germany or Austria. I'm fairly sure they are Recknagel, which as far as I know has never had an importer/distributor in the USA. You can, of course, order them from Europe, but that would be more expensive than buying brand new Optilock mounts, which IMHO are a better option. There are a couple of German vendors who sell secondhand goods on eBay, but that could be risky for a non-expert to be sure he was ordering the right parts.

14. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    mtang45 likes this.
  15. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks for pointing that out. I don't recall seeing that page the last time I looked at the NECG website. I had extensive contact with them a year or so ago in sorting out some issues with EAW mounts that turned out not to be genuine. Good people. There's no link with the picture of the pivot mount. I doubt they even stock the pivot mounts and rings - the page emphasizes the Picatinny products, and those links work. The text says we can help you find what you need - no ordering info for the pivot mounts. NECG is a great resource, but they are a low-volume, high-price operation - real old-fashioned carriage trade. Those rings will be expensive, I'll wager - I'd guess at least double the cost of Optilocks. And probably a long wait to order them from the factory. If mtang45 wants to pursue that option, he needs to have a long conversation with somebody at NECG to make sure those really are Recknagel bases, and exactly what rings would be needed. Those are NOT Sako bases as such; they are flat-bottom universal bases, probably made for square-bridge Mausers, old Tikkas, and whatever else with a flat top. If it were my gun, I might look into it, though - you have a good point that the bases are already there, and it's definitely a quality product. And you'd have something nobody else has, that's for sure. I wonder if those mounting blocks are actually low enough to use the iron sights. They look like they might be.

mtang45 likes this.
  16. mtang45

mtang45 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Thanks for the valid points both ways guys. Since I want 30mm rings, I will probably go with something far more common than what I currently have or more common than something that is period correct for Sako, since 30mm rings will probably fall in the realm of unobtainium for either of those options. I like the idea of a quick detachable scope, but realistically how often am I going to remove the scope to use the irons...probably never at my age. The scopes low end power is 1.5 so basically the same as irons but better.

So that being said, what is the objection to modern Opti-Locks?

17. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    So here is my experience regarding Optilock ring and base systems. I have them on three rifles and they work as well as anything available. All three rifles were purchased this way.

The bases clamp very positively to the dovetails. The rings are very solid and include poly inserts. There’re simple to put together and install, at least in my opinion.

As an experiment while at the range, I’ve removed the scope system, shot through irons, then remounted the system and almost returned to zero, without touching a thing. After a tiny fine tune I was back to exact zero.

Hunting wise I could have killed anything after remounting within reason. The down side is I had to use the tool to accomplish this task. Now the tool is in my day pack.

I do prefer the ringmounts as I like to keep it simple. Just my preference. The other minor downside is the weight. As they are over engineered-they always feel heavy. But again, probably not an issue but weight saving is very important to me, even the slightest amount.

If I were in your situation I would not hesitate at all to use the Sako Optilock ring and base system.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    mtang45 likes this.
  18. mtang45

mtang45 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Thank you Sean