Short Actions scope/mount combo for L461

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by backwater, Nov 1, 2021.

1. backwater

backwater Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    20211101_012100.jpg I have a set of leupold low rings but all my scopes hit the bolt handle. what are others using?

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It is often the case that the bolt handle will not clear the ocular bell using "low" Leupold or original Sako ringmounts. I solved this problem by using a Leupold Compact model scope which has a smaller ocular (eye piece). If you want to use a scope with the larger eyepiece which is standard on most scopes you'll need the "medium" height ringmounts.

Also, some earlier Sako bolt handles had a sharper curve which placed the handle closer to the scope when open than other handles. This may be the case with your rifle. I own an early Deluxe L579 on which I had to mount a Leupold Compact with its smaller eye piece in order to clear the bolt handle.

backwater likes this.
  3. backwater

backwater Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Cant find a old Redfield fixed power i thought i still had but thats wrong tube dia. if i did find it.

4. Glenn Verrall

Glenn Verrall Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland

Stone,
    I have a Meopta 3-12x50 that I want to put on a L461 222Mag, which of the Leupold rings is best for this High or Medium.

5. waterwolf

waterwolf Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I have never found a scope that would clear the bolt handle using original Sako low rings. I use older model European scopes: Zeiss, S&B, Swaro, Kahles, etc. I don't want to use other types of scopes, so I sold off all my low Sako rings. Medium height is fine with me.

backwater likes this.
  6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    High will be required -- depending on several factors you might even need the X-high.

7. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The maintube may be as large as 34MM making any of the vintage or standard Leupold options non usable, you may need to explore more current variations

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  8. Glenn Verrall

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    30mm tube, will the bolt handle be the issue unless I go High mounts or xtra high

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The front bell hitting the barrel will be the issue with a front lens diameter in excess of 40mm. Placing a large, bulbous telescope on a petite rifle doesn't make sense to me, but to each his own.

marlin92, Bucktote and bigcountry4me like this.
  10. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    So going back to your original question and since we’ve determined the maintube is 30MM.

Medium 30MM Leupold ringmounts will not work. Highs should give clearance for the objective lens. With regard to the bolt handle, you’ll simply need to try it. Remember this diminutive action was built 50 or so years ago. It was never a consideration to mount a scope of this size as they didn’t exist. Many manufacturers now utilize a 60 degree bolt throw to accommodate or their bolt handles might hit too.

11. Glenn Verrall

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Thank you gents, much appreciated. I understand your comments regarding the size of the action and concur, I have a similar one on another rifle for night time kangaroo harvesting where light gathering and clarity are important. I was considering this scope as an option as it has been wearing an old Bausch and Lomb for about 25 years now and sometimes the newer scopes are tempting but maybe impractical. Thank you for your expertise.

12. dustinga

dustinga Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Night time kangaroo harvesting sounds like a barrel of monkeys

Unclekax likes this.
  13. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia