Scope Mount Advice-Quick Tutorial

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by rjc58, Jan 2, 2020.

1. rjc58

rjc58 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    I’m not that knowledgeable on Sako scope mounts and would appreciate a quick tutorial. Over time I’ve accumulated the following rifles/mounts. In the first image is an L579/22-250... I’m uncomfortable with the rear base extending over the bolt and looking for a recommended option. I’d prefer unobstructed access to the magazine. The other images are my other rifles/mounts L579, AI, Browning and L46... can you help me verify style and makers.

Bonus Question: Who made the ZK 465 mount? (last image)

Attached Files:

2. pow

pow Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Sako factory mounts will solve your problem.

3. CHAUCER

CHAUCER Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The top-left rifle (the .22-250) is the medium-length actioned Forester. You have Redfield bases for the long-actioned Finnbear on it. Redfield front bases for all three action lengths are the same, but the long rear base is meant only for the Finnbear. The top-right rifle has the correct Redfield bases. The short rear base should be used on the Vixen and Forester. Just change the rear base to eliminate the overhang. On two occasions I have seen the long rear base deliberately used (on a .22-250 and a .243) because of the configuration (short tube) of the scope. In both cases I asked if the long rear base caused any problem with case ejection, and both times the answer was no.

northernlights likes this.
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Pic 3 is of the earlier style Sako ringmounts. Pic 5 is of Leupold ringmounts. Chaucer covered the Redfield style ones. I can't help you with pic 4 & 6.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Picture 5 is of CZ mounts. These will not work on a Sako, as CZ mounting grooves are parallel and Sako are tapered. I recommend original Sako ring mounts. You will need medium or high depending on the scope to be mounted. The old style low rings are only usable with scopes that have a very small bell or a straight tube, and a fairly small diameter eyepiece. Current issue Sako mounts are another option, but they are expensive and you need to be sure to get the right ones. Unlike the older mounts, the current ones are very high and the low or extra-low mounts will accommodate most scopes on most rifles.

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The mounts in pic #5 are shown on a Sako & look exactly like some older Leupolds I have. All the CZ rings I have use 4 screws per ring & aren't nearly as sculpted or polished.

7. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    My mistake - misread the number. Pic 6 is a CZ mount, not pic 5. It's an older CZ or Brno rifle - note "Made in Czechoslovakia" on the receiver.

8. 71Scamp

71Scamp Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Ditto. The mounts on the AI appear to be factory Sako dovetail rings. My preference.