• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Scope for my "new"75

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bigbear

Finally found one, it is as new., $200 buck more than the "like new" I foolishly passed on a few months ago. No fool like an old fool. Now to scope it. I got 30mm rings with it (got as in paid abit extra). Anyone know good and or bad things about te Burris Veracity PH 3-15x44? Found one on sale and a fellow who sells high end hunting gear,/rifles/optics recommended it highly after his personal testing. Rifle is a 300 WinMag.

Cheers to all the non scammers out there.

I do not have personal experience with the Veracity series scopes, but I have owned a lot of Burris scopes over the years and always found them to be of excellent quality. The Veracity scopes share a lot of components with the Steiner scopes that Burris builds under some kind of joint venture arrangement. I have been told that the tubes and adjusters are the same; the difference is German vs. American glass. I have one of the Burris-built Steiner scopes, a 2.5-10x, and it performs very well on my SSG-69. I would not hesitate to buy a Burris Veracity scope if I found one at the right price.

the difference is German vs. American glass.
I very much doubt that there is any American-made glass in those scopes. Virtually all optical glass comes from Asia these days. Burris has sourced many of their components (and complete scopes) in the Philippines, but the glass in any particular line of Burris scopes could come from nearly anywhere (except the U.S.)

I'm not knocking Burris scopes per se; Leupold scopes all use Asian glass as well -- and other "U.S." brands are mostly or totally sourced from Asia. I don't think there has been any U.S.-made optical glass used in U.S.-made scopes since maybe the Rochester Bausch & Lombs.

However, the origin of the glass is pretty much academic. All optical glass is machine-made these days and is generally of excellent quality. Whether glass was German, or Austrian, or Rochester-made glass might have been important 60 years ago, but not so much now. What is much more important in riflescopes are the engineering and mechanics -- optical features like non-critical eye placement and mechanics like how well the tube is sealed, accuracy of adjustments, concentricity of internal components, etc.

I do not have personal experience with the Veracity series scopes, but I have owned a lot of Burris scopes over the years and always found them to be of excellent quality. The Veracity scopes share a lot of components with the Steiner scopes that Burris builds under some kind of joint venture arrangement. I have been told that the tubes and adjusters are the same; the difference is German vs. American glass. I have one of the Burris-built Steiner scopes, a 2.5-10x, and it performs very well on my SSG-69. I would not hesitate to buy a Burris Veracity scope if I found one at the right price.
Thanks! Anyone who has an SSG-69 is a wise man in my book;)

Happy camper. Took my new to me 75 (300Win Mag) to the range for sight in today. After some fiddling got it zeroed. 3 shots groups with factory Remington CoreLokts and a 1/2" group with a 180gr HornadyBTSP, same velocity as the Remington facory ammo, 2950fps. I had a Sako 75 Finnlight in 300WinMag years ago. It was equally accurate but hard to shoot, "whippy" is the best word I can think of. The regular 75 is a delight, feels like a 30'06 from the bench. I have my hunting rifle for my golden (or rusty) years! Huzzah! I put the Burris Veracity 3-15 on it, and so far so good. Going to my bush range where I can shoot out to 500yds ,then the final judgement will be rendered.

Latest posts

Back