Scope base for AII / L579 Round Top

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Ranger140892, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Ranger140892

Ranger140892 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Hey folks. I just bought a round top AII / L579 receiver still in the box. Can't wait to build me another 308 Win on it. I can machine a scope base for it, but I'd rather find one already manufactured. I've searched a little bit and found nothing so far. I'm looking for a One Piece Picatinny rail. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If it was in its own box then the action was probably made for H&R and sold from their inventory when they went out of business. If so it should be no problem to drill a blank picatinny base to fit it since the front and rear action rings will be the same diameter.

Another round-topped Sako was made for Browning but its rear action ring was milled down lower than the front to match the contour of an FN Mauser. The only other round-topped Sako it might be is one made for Magnum Research which would be so-marked. The MR Sakos were contoured the same as a Rem 700. There may have been a few Colt L579's with round tops, but that goes way back and it is unlikely to find one of those NIB.

fabtec likes this.
  3. Ranger140892

Ranger140892 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Yes, thank you. I know this history of the receiver.

4. barreltwister

barreltwister Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    Beretta also used a round top L579/AII receiver for the 501.
    Different rear bridge contour than the Browning.

5. Ranger140892

Ranger140892 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Barreltwister, that's good info. I forgot all about the Beretta. I actually had one in the '80's. Some kinda horse trade deal, then shortly another horse came along and the 501 left. I've done a few searches and found nothing in a picatinny rail. Looks like I'll have to machine one from a blank. I figure after buying a blank, the big ball end mill, and a counter bore which I can't find in the shop, this simple base will cost me over $200. Oh well, firearms are never an inexpensive hobby anyway. Thanks, B.

6. Ranger140892

Ranger140892 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Btw, does anyone know the dates that Stoeger imported Sako receivers into the US? Mine has three digit serial number beginning with "1". Has L57 bottom metal.

When I was at Trinidad in the early 80's, I remember guys getting these receivers for builds. I wanted one badly but just didn't have the money for it in college. I remember well, the graphics on the box and I'm proud to finally have one.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stoeger only took over importation of Sakos in 1977, long after the L57 was obsolete. Firearms International, the original importer for Sakos, brought in many thousands of L46, L57, L461, L579, and L61R actions between 1949 and 1971 for building into proprietary rifles like the Colt, Sears, and Wards, as well as for distribution to custom gun builders. Garcia/Impecco continued to import Sako actions after it took over in 1971, as did Stoeger after 1977.

8. Ranger140892

Ranger140892 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Well I had no luck finding one. So I bought a $150 1 1/4" ball end mill that I'll probably never use again. Now I've got a base. That end mill cut a perfect radius, and served well for making the ejection port relief cut. IMG_0506.jpg