Saw Some Sakos at the Show

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by icebear, Jun 17, 2019.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Southern Arizona is not a good place to look for Sakos, Tikkas, and Valmets, but I did see a few semi-interesting Sakos at a show Saturday. One of the regulars had bought a collection from a guy who liked Sakos and custom rifles. The first Sako was an L61R in 7mm Remington Mag with a nicely done custom stock made of what looked like light-colored English Walnut, or maybe French. Scope was kind of odd for a 7 Mag - a 6.5-20x Leupold. I suppose the combination would make sense for hunting mountain sheep at very long ranges, but it's definitely unorthodox. Next was a .243 L591 Forester with a heavy barrel. This one looked to be entirely original and in near-mint condition. Scope on this one was a Leupold 4.5-14x, a logical enough choice for a long-range varmint rifle. The third and final Sako was an L461 in .222. This gun appeared to be a slightly modified Deluxe. The stock was of light-colored French walnut with rosewood forend tip and grip cap, and the shape was correct. The checkering looked like someone had filled in the gaps in the skip-line checkering and deepened the grooves somewhat, but not enough to make fully pointed diamonds. It looked just a little bit off. Also, there was no inlay in the grip cap - neither a fox face nor the older Weatherby-style diamond. First time I've ever seen a Deluxe without an inlay. This one was topped with a 3.5-10x Leupold. Prices on the three guns were in the 1200-1600 range. An interested buyer probably could have moved the needle a couple of hundred - I've seen the guy around and he usually leaves himself some wiggle room. He had one more gun from that collection, a really nice custom pre-64 Winchester Model 70. Stock was of nicely striped, light-colored English walnut with beautifully executed fine-line checkering, fully wrapped around in front, plus Neidner style curved steel buttplate and grip cap, and a contrasting forend tip. It needed a bit of final finishing as there were only a couple of coats of oil on it. Forend was a bit chunkier than I prefer, but it was still a beautiful stock. Scope was a 3.9x Leupold in swing mounts. I couldn't tell for sure if they were real EAW or East European copies. Anyway I was actually more tempted by this than any of the three Sakos - price was a grand and I'm not sure if he was quoting his bottom line on that one or not. I passed, but I might have another look if he still has it at the next show. I'll take along some real and fake EAW rings to see which is on the gun (I have one set of each, real and fake).

The only other Sako at the show was a plain, as-issued L461 in .222. I used to own it and was not especially interested in getting it back.

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    David Miller, of David Miller Co. Rifles used a 6.5-20 Leupold frequently on long rang custom rifles he created for coues deer, desert sheep and mule deer down your way. He and Craig Boddington collaborated for Peterson’s years ago. I used to read his stories and articles. David Miller and Curt Crum build some of finest rifles ever built. Take care.

3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I hadn't heard of David Miller, but I Googled him and it turns out he's right here in Tucson. Fantastic reputation and prices to match. According to an article posted on Fox Business, one of his guns sold for over $200K. There's a used one on one of the auction sites for $12,500. I kind of doubt he's the builder of any of the guns I was looking at, but since he's local I'll examine the barrels for his name if I see the guns again.

4. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Yeah, most likely he’s not the builder, thought maybe he had some influence on how it’s scoped. Probably not, it triggered my memory of those old articles and photos. Thanks.