Saturday Morning at the Gun Show

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by icebear, Oct 27, 2019.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Went to a local show Saturday morning. To my surprise, the parking lot was almost empty - usually it's full of early birds. When I got inside almost the first thing I saw was a Sako. Looked like an early L61R Finnbear in pretty good shape. Very dark stain on the stock. A guy was looking at it very seriously when I got to the table so I didn't get to examine it closely, but I did get a look at the tag - $600, and it had Sako high rings on it. Nice price if there was anything left of the bore. It was also a 7mm Magnum, which sort of killed any interest I might have had. I decided not to hang around; I think the guy who was handling it bought it. If so, he got a good deal.

That was the only Sako, Tikka, or for that matter any kind of interesting European sporting rifle I saw at that show. A lot of tables featured military web gear, cheap nylon gun cases, holsters, backpacks, etc, giant piles of AR and Glock mags, cheap optics, and miscellaneous non-gun items. Plus, of course, the usual acres of AR's, and cases full of overpriced collectible Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers. And let's not forget the pink camo AR's and pastel pocket pistols. (A fair number of women seem to like that stuff. My girlfriend, a retired detective, makes gagging noises every time she sees a pink gun.) However, I did pick up a nice Ruger Number 1 in 7x57 from a private seller for $750, including a 3-9x steel tube Weaver (USA made) and several boxes of 7x57 and .222 ammo. Most of the .222 ammo is old Remington - so old that it is packed in green and red boxes and has domed primers. Not the stuff for precision shooting but good plinking ammo for offhand practice. It was my day for 7x57 and .222 ammo, it seemed. Another seller provided a box of Federal 7x57 for 15 bucks and 80 rounds of shiny new Remington .222 JHP for $40. Not bad.

No luck in finding any of my Sako/Tikka/Valmet holy grails, but on the other hand it wasn't a bad morning's outing. I'm looking forward to shooting the Ruger single shot - I used to have one in .300 H&H, sold it because I needed the money for something else, and always kind of wanted another one. This is the version with open sights and a 22" barrel. The wood is decent but not spectacular, medium brown walnut with nicely striped grain and a little bit of fiddleback. The wood has a couple of minor dings, the metal is near perfect. I'll probably change the scope, as the turret placement combined with the location of the ring mounts on the Ruger puts the scope well forward of a comfortable eye position. No big thing; I'm sure there's another scope in the magic box that will fill the bill. Given what people are asking for No. 1 rifles these days, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

FLT, Furdown and Sean Hodges like this.

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The Ruger in that caliber is a nice pick up. It should be a 1-A, which has the irons and the Henry fore end, and the 22” barrel as you’ve described. Does it have the old red pad too? I like the vintage number one’s especially in this configuration, so good for you, hopefully it will shoot. Take care.

3. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Yep. Iron sights, Alexander Henry forend, and a red pad with a black spacer. By the way, do you have any idea what is the purpose of the notch in the Henry forend design? Is it just cosmetic? I've always wondered about that.

4. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Wish I could definitely say, but I’ve read/ heard over the years it was more of a cosmetic tribute to use cross sticks, or there was a mechanism ( in the old days) in a wagon to carry the rifle upright. I’ve always liked it along with the overall shape. At $750 you did well.

5. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The cross sticks sort of make sense. I wasn't going to bother posting a photo, since it's not a Sako, but decided to shoot one for insurance/estate records so why not post it? Here it is. You can see the problem with the scope sitting too far forward. The rear ring slot is way forward of where it would be on a bolt gun., and the situation is made worse by the very short eye relief on the ancient Weaver. I'll probably test fire it the way it is, since the scope is sighted in, and then switch the scope for either a Leupold 2.5-8x or a Burris 1.5-6x. More likely the Burris, which has its turret way forward and so would allow maximum room to move the scope back.

Ruger 7mm-1.JPG Ruger 7mm-2.JPG.JPG

6. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Very nice, and I agree about your potential scope choice. Personally, this configuration is my favorite. The light configuration with the quarter rib and sights always appealed to me over the 1-B and the rest. I’ve always loved the challenge of a single shot, and in that caliber it sort of has a cool mystique.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019