Sasqautch Found: there really was a .32-20

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by stonecreek, Apr 16, 2018.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    We were doing a Factory Records search for one of our members when we accidentally came across something very unexpected among the 59,000 serial numbers of the L46's and L469's: A serial number, 13315, which caliber is clearly marked ".32-20"! It appears that its inspection date is 29 May 1953 (but this could be 1952).

There is no corresponding record in the shipping records of any .32-20, which is why we thought no such thing existed and that the reports of someone seeing or knowing of a Sako in this caliber were thought to be the result of a rebarrel. However, we now know that there was at least one made, and it is possible that as time goes by and more research is done another may turn up among the 59,000 serial numbers.

You can see the page in the inspection records where this .32-20, serial number 13315, is recorded by clicking on the link below:

Attached Files:

NPhillips, waterwolf and Unclekax like this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    WOW!!! Thanks for the news, Stone. My faith that there is a Big Foot has been bolstered!!! To make "one" barrel with a bore diameter that matches no other that they make is really baffling & would have required some "extra" work for sure. Plus the fact that there is no shipping record would lead me to speculate it was made for someone @ Sako with some influence. If there ever was a "Holy Grail" of Sako rifles this has to be it!!! Never say never about anything Sako!

3. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Nice find! Any ideas what the codes/letters are after the calibre and what they addreviate? It’s not the usual ‘pt’ ‘kt’ etc

4. alpine hunter

alpine hunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Barrels for 8.2x53R were in production (at least earlier if not at the time of producing this rifle) which would be very close in bore to the 32/20. Not sure exactly what the bore for each is off the top of my head though.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The groove diameters for .32-20 barrels typically run from .310" to .313". This variability is found in lots of pre-SAAMI cartridges. I have a revolver and a rifle (Rem Model 25) in this caliber and simply use regular .308" bullets (usually a 110 RN for the .30 Carbine), which seem to provide the same accuracy as .32 caliber handgun bullets.

Sako would have made plenty of barrels for the 7.62 x 53, which were usually .311", so I would think they would have had no difficulty in making a handful of barrels for the .32-20.

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I forgot about their military barrels & the 7.62x53R bore being a prefect match. Would be interesting to see what other calibers were made on the same day, but it doesn't appear the records were kept in a manner to allow that without an extremely tedious & time consuming search.

7. alpine hunter

alpine hunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Ah yes, I forgot that the 7.62x53 is bored larger than its name indicates and the 32/20 smaller.
    I am sure there would have been a supply of those barrels in stock at any time during that era. I suppose it would have simply involved machining the outside barrel dimensions to L46 Spec. The chamber reamer would have been the only "non standard" item.