Sakos just keep getting it done...

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Coleman Cowboy, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Coleman Cowboy

Coleman Cowboy Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Back in the '70s, my first REAL rifle was a second-hand Forester in .243 Winchester. Smooth as silk, far more than accurate than I was, a great trigger...that L579 became the standard that I judged all other rifles against for years. Consequently, it's no small wonder that I keep a number of Sakos hard at work here on the place today.

Take the past few weeks as an example: two of the last three feral hogs I've killed have fallen to Sakos: a Brux-barreled L461 in .221 Fireball and an AI in 6mm/.223. That last hog carcass has been employed as bait and this morning I used my old warhorse Safari Grade .375 to settle the troubles of a coyote who got greedy.

You could argue that I've got my applications all wrong: using the little cartridges for the heavier animals and the bigger cartridges for the lighter critters...and I'd be hard pressed to argue with you. Except for the fact that everything is falling over dead...and these Sakos have a lot to do with that!

Mark

.221 Boar
    [​IMG]

6mm/.223 Hog (employed later as bait)
    [​IMG]

.375 H&H Coyote
    [​IMG]

susanna, L61R, deersako and 2 others like this.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It seems to have made little difference to the animals that you were using the "wrong" calibers for each of them. However, I'm certain that if those same bullets had been expelled from a Remington 700 or a Ruger 77 instead of a Sako that those pests would have just shaken it off an run away;).

By the way, would appreciate your sharing some of your 6mm/223 loads. I "ascertained" one of those in a custom Sako L461 a short time back and have cobbled together a couple of satisfactory loads, but would be interested in your experiences with whatever powder and bullets.

L61R likes this.
  3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    My 6x45mm likes H335 & IMR 8208 powders & 75 grain V-Max, Sierra 85 grain Game kings & the 87 grain Hornady. Work up to max charge weights off the on-line Hodgdon Reloading Center. Mine has a 10 twist, which I feel is optimum. Bullets heavier the the 87 gr Hornady don't fit or perform near as well. It also shot the 58 grain bullets well, but the whole idea for me was to shoot heavier bullets than 22 CF's. One of the more pleasant rounds to shoot. I've shot deer with the Game King & coyotes with the V-Max with splendid results. Always thought it would be a great "Hill Country" cartridge. It's scary accurate!

L61R likes this.
  4. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for those suggestions, Mark. I have a good supply of H335 (actually, some surplus WC844) that I might give a try.

Some 55 grain Ballistic Tips loaded with Reloader 7 step right on at 3410 fps and are quite accurate, but like you, if I wanted to use 55 grain bullets I'd simply stay with a .22 caliber.

I've loaded some of the old original 85 grain Nosler Solid Base bullets using CFE 223. It runs about 2775 fps, but accuracy, while sufficient for deer, isn't sterling. Have you measured the velocity of your 85/87 grain loads?

Interestingly, I discovered that due to the slight boattail on the Solid Base bullet that I can simply seat it in an unaltered .223 case and it will slickly expand the neck to the proper size without the need to run it over an expander. I don't have a run out gauge to see how straight the necks end up, but I see no difference in accuracy when done this way versus running the cases first through the 6mm/223 sizing die.

5. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    My 6x45mm has a 24" Shilen #3 contour 5 groove barrel & I chronographed the 75 V-Max @ 3150 with H335, the 85 Game King @ 2950 with IMR 8208 & the 87 Hornady with 8208 @ 2800. I could drive the 87 a little faster but accuracy suffered. Conversely, the V-Max shot best at or near max load. I shoot 8208 in multiple calibers & have found it to be very consistent & accurate. Only brass I've ever used is fired Lake City sorted by year stamp. The only negative I have found is that the cases stretch very quickly & I must trim after 2 reloads. Haven't heard that has been an issue with this round, so I suspect it has some chamber issues from the smith you barreled it, as I can't neck size only but have to "partially" full length size to chamber a round without difficulty. It shoots sub-MOA with all three bullets, so I just live with it as is. This cartridge still holds the World Record for IBS 200 yard aggregate score(can't remember what Class)set in the early 70's, so if your rifle & barrel are good you should expect excellent accuracy. The 6mm PPC supplanted the 6x45mm in the benchrest world, but I heard a few guys are still shooting it, at least up until a few years ago. If more people would look into this round it would end all the silliness of using fast twist 223's to shoot heavier bullets slower than the 6x45 does.

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've never used any IMR 8208, and probably won't be any time soon due to the current scarcity of powders. However, I will try some H335 clone (WC844) to see how that works.

Your barrel is a couple of inches longer than mine, so I won't shoot for quite the same velocities. However, I would like to boost an 85-87 grain bullet up above 2800 fps if that is achievable. My supply of the old Nosler 85 Solid Bases is limited, so I might try the Sierras in the same weight. I recall that in one of the old Sierra manuals they show an expanded 6mm/85 Gameking from a mule deer and its performance appears quite adequate for that size of game.

By the way, here's a photo of my 6x45. It is a custom that I found on the net. Maker is unknown, but the work is superb. It is fashioned more or less as a mini dangerous game gun with its express sights and barrel band sling attachment. It is a bit heavier than I might have chosen had I been having it built myself, but not so much that it detracts from its overall appeal. I paid a fairly high price for it, but like any custom resell, only a fraction of what it had to have cost the original owner. Naturally, I've been a bit reticent about taking it to the field, so haven't taken any game with it yet. That will change someday.

DSC00900 (1024x209).jpg

DSC00900 (1024x209).jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  7. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Very nice rifle!!! Mine is built on a L469 action I found while visiting Austin, TX. It was in a broken, beat up non-factory stock & had already been re-barreled to .223 Rem. Had the Shilen barrel put on, had Rob Bose duplicate a stock, reblued it, then I fit, finished & checkered the stock. Did I mention the trip to the bank for the loan for all this?? Customs do hurt the wallet, but it is one of my favorites. I'll get it out & post a pic of it. Not as pretty as yours, but the wood has a very unique grain.

8. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Here's the pics!
    Sako 6x45.jpg Sako 6x45 b.jpg
    Hope I did the pic thing right. I thumbnailed them cause the full pic was huge!

stonecreek and kevinlg like this.
  9. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stone's rifle looks oddly familiar. :)

Hmmmmm............

10. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Is the extra one in the bottom photo for sale, by chance? ;)

11. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No, I always like to keep a spare just in case.

12. prk154

prk154 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Nice!

13. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Really nice! Your classic style stock reminds me a great deal of a Kimber of Oregon.

I have another semi-custom on the L46 action. It was originally one of the scare Marlin 422's, but someone had rebarreled it and the stock, though nicely proportioned, had its original finish in rather mediocre condition. I had a 21" very slim barrel chambered in .300 Blackout screwed on it and left everything else alone. It makes a pleasing and practical walking and short range rifle. I killed a feral hog with it a couple of weeks ago using an obsolete Hornady 130 grain spire point at 2170 fps. It made a hole all the way through the 100-pounder and it bled like, well, a stuck hog, for the 75 yards that it ran before falling over dead.

14. Coleman Cowboy

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stone, that little L461 is a knockout! Paulson, yours is a dandy as well!

As to my 6x45 load, I run 24.5 grains of W748 behind a 100 grain bullet (it prefers the old discontinued Hornady round nose but a Nosler Partition will serve).

I'd been playing with these since the early '90s in my quest to find the perfect Hill Country hunting set-up...and this ain't far from it (in my opinion). I grew up hunting in between Sandy and Willow City and often found that the Red Gods laughed when I left camp with either a "deer" rifle or a "turkey" rifle. Armed for deer, I'd find myself covered up with turkeys; armed for turkeys and I'd assaulted by hogs or visited by a buck with antlers to make me weep. Turkeys shot with the "big" stuff were often close to inedible...a feather sack full of turkey hash.

While trying to resolve the turkey damage dilemma, I found that muzzle velocities not exceeding 2400-2500 fps really minimized tissue damage by greatly reducing secondary projectiles from the lighter avian bone structure (people probably still tell about the loonie who shot up an ice chest full of fryer chickens at the old rifle range at Hamilton Pool in the late '80s for "science"!). While downloaded .223s were GREAT, my perfect "combo" rifle didn't exist until I decided to build a 6/223 launching 100 grain bullets at around 2500 fps. This allows taking turkeys at 50 yards and still be able to eat them (shot placement always a consideration, of course!) and still take a whitetail or hog out to a maximum of 200 yards. It's a compromise, to be sure...but I've taken a bunch of deer, hogs and turkeys with the little cartridge/bullet combo and I haven't cussed it yet!

Mark

15. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It's one of my better fitting stocks. I modified the wreck of a stock the rifle came with by removing wood in places & adding auto body putty to raise & straighten the comb, then had Rob Bose run it through his duplicator. The wood figure was purely luck, as it didn't reveal itself until the blank was carved. Got the blank for $150, so it was a pleasant surprise. I think I'll start a thread on custom & semi-custom Sakos & see if other members would have some to share! Blackout's are lots of fun. I shoot mine sub-sonic & suppressed when calling coyotes, especially at night. No one calls the sheriff because they hear a gunshot @ midnight with that combo!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  16. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Cowboy: I've been told that the fellas in South Africa love the 6x45 with 100 grainers @ 2450 fps for the small, 30-40 lb, antelope they shoot for bush meat. Say you can eat right up to the hole. I assume you have an 8 or 8.5 twist. I went with the 10 twist & 90 grain or less bullets because my magazine length would not allow me to seat bullets heavier than that out far enough so the neck wasn't on the ogive. What rifle are you using?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  17. Coleman Cowboy

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    And the hits just keep on comin'!

The She-Wolf (my long-suffering bride and hunting partner) borrowed my 6/223 to absolutely hammer this sow from about 100 yards. Perfect heart shot, no CNS involvement, and yet she dropped to the shot and rolled over without so much as a kick.

Paulson, it's been too many years and I can't trust my memory...I'll have to check the ROT on both my 6/223s (the first "test bed" rifle was built on an M700 "short" action); this one (my favorite by far) is built on an AI action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

icebear, Ian H and Furdown like this.
  18. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It's been my opinion, given the observations I have made, that given the chance to practice women are better shots than men. I submit Coleman Cowboy's photographs as evidence and to show how to perfectly shoot a hog & how effective the 6x45 is as a hunting cartridge!

19. Coleman Cowboy

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Couldn't agree more. I've coached a lot of folks over the years and I MUCH prefer to coach the ladies! Shooting is, after all, a hand-eye coordination exercise (as long as you keep the testosterone out of it!) and I've found that most gals take to shooting like a duck to water!

I'll check those ROTs tomorrow and holler back at you.

Mark

Ian H likes this.
  20. Coleman Cowboy

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    OK, Paulson...I checked the RoT on my Sako 6x45. I thought it was a 10" but I wasn't willing to trust my memory...it is. Maybe my memory isn't as feeble as I sometimes think.

I could probably squeeze a bit more accuracy from lighter bullets, but that balance of 100 grain thump (for deer/turkey) and moderate velocity (for turkeys) works too well for me to dink much with it!

Mark