1. TMann

TMann Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I've been a Mauser collector for some time. Recently I picked up a gorgeous SACO Vixen in 222Rem. Shooting it is a dream. I would like to know the history of it and what all identifiers are needed to determine this.

Rogan Kinnear likes this.

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Congrats on your Sako purchase a good place to start is by posting some good pictures. You can get information from other members and you can also click on the tab at the of the page to request factory record information.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Peruse the forum section on Sako Short actions to learn more about your rifle. "Vixen" can mean one of several action designations, so it tells us little about what you actually have. L46, L461 & AI are the three actions that can be referred to as a Vixen. Not all of the L46's were stamped with that designation, so a pic of your rifle would help us identify it. As marlin92 mentions, if your rifle falls within the serial number range listed the Factory Records Service is a good place to start.

4. TMann

TMann Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Sorry about the picture quality. The scope rings are also engraved to match the trigger guard and floorplate.

Attached Files:

Unclekax likes this.
  5. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    You have a very nice L461 Deluxe probably made somewhere in 66 or 67 - factory record would tell you

6. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    All Vixens are nice Vixens. Your Deluxe has a value-added bonus... some nice stripe in the wood. Congrats on the great find.

7. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I am not sure how much or little you know or have found online about the Dako proofmarks and stamps. I am relatively new to these myself but can tell you that what appears to be an MV stamp is a proof mark saying that Matti Vartia inspected the rifle after it was made. The lions head or fin-lion shows the rifle parts were made in Finland. Please correct me if I am wrong fellow sako lovers!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 12:52 AM