Sako Vixen

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Westex, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Westex

Westex Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I saw a Sako Vixen at gun show this weekend in 223 . It said made in Finland . what is Vixen model ?

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Vixen is the name for any short action Sako rifle regardless of Model designation. It could be a L46(most of which were not stamped L46), L469, L461, AI, S491, 75, or even the current Model 85. I think it started as an advertising name to differentiate the short actions from the medium (Forester) & the long (Finnbear) actions. Sako even stamped "Vixen" on the barrel for a short time in the 60's & the boxes were marked "Vixen" for many years, and may still be today on the 85 but I've never seen a 85 box. I bought an AI in 1986 that was not stamped Vixen, but the box was marked as such. People started using "Vixen" as a Model name during the time Sako stamped the barrels that way & like a lot of things associated with firearms it is still used confusingly by those less knowledgeable about Sakos to denote a "Model". When people call or advertise their rifle as a "Vixen", all we know for sure is that it is one of the short action models.

L61R and FLT like this.
  3. Westex

Westex Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thx ! That was very informative.