Sako Vixen L461 222 Rem

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by ReloadingBum, May 1, 2021.

1. ReloadingBum

ReloadingBum Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Idaho
    Hello All,

I've been a fan since I was a kid, 40+ years.

I've been trying to get one of my relatives to sell me their Sako L461 222 Mag (non Vixen) for about 20 years. So far, no luck. I will probably end up with it anyway unless it gets buried with the owner and that's a possibility. Kidding.

I decided to get my own Sako Vixen L461 .222 Mag.

So far... no scope yet, any suggestions?

I may do some trigger work if anyone has any thoughts on that? I don't actually pick up my rifle for about two weeks.

Looking forward to learning more about this gun and getting it to shoot just right. Believe it not, even though there are many guns out there that are nicer, this is one of my absolutely favorite guns (I'm a varminter) to shoot. The one my father owns, (not a Vixen) has a little work and it is a lot of fun.

Once I receive my gun, have wait for the DROS nonsense I'll take more pics. It's not for everyone but I really like the light colored stock

Reloading Bum

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2021

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    All Sako short action L46, L461, & AI rifles were referred to as Vixens as a marketing term whether they carried that stamping (which Sako did for a short time) or not. Even the box on my AI from 1986 is marked with an "X" next to the name Vixen on the end flap. So there is no rationale for your reference to a Vixen & a non-Vixen. Most here refer to the rifles by their action stamping to eliminate confusion, so you won't hear the term "Vixen" much on this site. The Sako #4 trigger is adjustable for weight of pull & overtravel. Sear engagement is set at the factory & should NOT be fiddled with. The #4 trigger is not designed to go below 2 to 2.5 lbs safely. This can vary a little from trigger to trigger, but if you adjust it too low the safety will not function properly. There are threads here you can search on adjusting your trigger. The L461 is a scaled down action to fit the small varmint cartridges & a scope should be proportional as well. Please don't put a Hubbel Telescope on it like I see so many do. Nothing over 12 power will give you any added benefit for your chambering. Your intended purpose is another factor when choosing a scope. Pictures are always appreciated!

3. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Congrats! If it is a sporter, you might want to look at a compact 3x9, or a straight six power. I'm a Leupold fan. I like the 6x42 mm. If it's a heavy barrel varmint model, a higher magnification scope might be in order. My favorite scope was the older vari-x 3 or VX III Leupold 4.5 x 14 x 40. Best of both worlds. I'm moving to the 2.5 x 8 Leupolds for my big game rifles, but it would also work well on your L461.

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Here are my two Sako heavy barrel varmint rifles with their scopes. First is an L461 in .222 Magnum with a 12x fixed-power Leupold with a target elevation turret and a hood. The other is an L46 custom in .222 with a 6.5-20x Leupold. For most shooters Paulson's advice to stick with a 12x is probably right, but I have some issues with vision and I find the higher power useful when shooting off a bench. Anyway these are a couple of ideas for your rifle. If you are mainly shooting varmints at 100-200 yards a Leupold or Weaver 10x or 12x fixed power is probably as good as anything.
    L461-222MagHB-1.JPG Biesen 5.JPG

And here are the two of them together on a rack.
    Biesen 1.JPG

(I wrote this a couple of days ago but either I forgot to hit "Post Reply" or there was some kind of glitch that kept it from posting.)

5. ReloadingBum

ReloadingBum Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Idaho
    Thanks for sharing. I'm really loving those rifles. Beautiful. Do you have a preference between the 222 & the 222 Mag?

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I like them both. The Magnum hits a bit harder and gives you an extra 50 yards of effective range. On the other hand, it's fussier about ammo (at least in my experience), and factory ammo is hard to find and can be expensive. The .222 is just a sweet-shooting varmint and target round that can put three rounds into a dime at 100 yards. Both give impressive accuracy with the right ammunition.

I'm kind of partial to the Magnum, just because it's out of the ordinary and I like having something unusual. I have a couple of Sakos in metric calibers, as well as a side-hammer O/U combination gun in 16 gauge/8x57R.360 and some other oddball pieces. I once owned a .35 Newton, reformed 8x68S cases to make ammo for it, and shot it. Just for fun. I'm partial to the .41 Magnum as a handgun round, and I shoot a Broomhandle Mauser made in 1900 for fun. So, take my personal preferences for what they are - manifestations of eccentricity.

Enjoy your Sako!

ReloadingBum likes this.