Sako Vixen Deluxe L461 .223 value?

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Austin's, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Austin's

Austin's Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    21CB3909-26A9-4EF0-A71A-F72D78352A19.jpeg 62C801A3-4D6E-4A1A-B320-215910E6457E.jpeg 099995B0-97F4-4652-9A09-DA221AE3680C.jpeg 7A69E3DC-500C-4D72-9DEC-DE80B8751724.jpeg 0033CDC3-778E-4BA9-BBB0-E50F170A4A9F.jpeg 32269138-9702-439F-9681-6F6A81B98AD1.jpeg 748345B5-C1D3-40E0-B4F3-846DDF67C1B0.jpeg Thought about selling this beautiful rifle but unsure of its value. Great condition minus the squished recoil pad. Was that way when I bought it several years back. Bofors Steel markings on the barrel. Anyone have a ballpark figure? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    When I first started collecting Sako's, I was told the .223 Deluxe with Bofors markings were very rare. Yours is the first one I have seen. Priceless.

kirkbridgershooters likes this.
  3. 7025Jack

7025Jack Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Nice rifle....Sent you a PM and would like to be first in line when you determine your asking price. Thank you kindly...

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The engraving pattern on the floorplate appears to be from a somewhat later model, the A-I. Are you aware of if/when it might have been changed out?

5. Austin's

Austin's Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    It has not been changed out that I am aware of. The gentlemen I bought it from had it for many years and had done nothing to it but store it in his safe.

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    A rifle from before 1968 & bottom metal from after 1978 does raise some questions, but the answer is probably lost to time. Very nice rifle, BTW!!!!

kirkbridgershooters likes this.
  7. Austin's

Austin's Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    This is very interesting. Is the trigger guard correct or has that been swapped also?
    Makes me wonder why? Haha...

8. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I went down to the safe and dug out a couple of older Sako Deluxes, one in 222 Rem mag and the other in a 223. The 222 mag is a pre-Garcia Bofors gun the 223 is a Garcia deluxe. As you can see, the Garcia deluxe has the Fox on the floorplate and the 222 mag has the pinecones...

DSCN4733.JPG DSCN4734.JPG

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Also notice the difference in the magazine release and that the later one has a rounded floorplate tang (hinge piece) whereas the older one will have a square tang end, even though it doesn't show in this photo.

Kirk, is the Garcia marked "L461" or "AI"? I've only seen the stylized fox on A-I's, but it certainly could have appeared on late L461's.

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    There are lots of Sakos floating around which, for one reason or another (usually a broken stock or damaged part), have had components from other Sakos used as replacements. You can find out the original configuration, caliber, and date of manufacture of your rifle by ordering information from the Club's factory records service. Click the link near the top of each page on the forum.

11. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    It is L461, AI is a Stoeger era designation...