Sako Vixen 6PPC and Sako S491 22PPC

Discussion in 'Show us all your beautiful Sakos!' started by John A Miller, Jan 10, 2019.

1. John A Miller

John A Miller Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Years ago while living in Ulysses, Pa. I purchased a Sako model 75 6PPC from a local gun store that was run by several guys who shot bench rest. I never really did much with it but I didn't like the heavy-for-caliber size of the gun, and the action was for 243 size cartridges. After moving to Virginia I ended up selling the 75 and didn't get in the Sakos again until this past summer I saw a beautiful little Sako 6PPC on Gunbroker. I ended up winning the auction and it is one sweet rifle. I instantly became a Sako addict, and after shooting a deer with it this fall I watched my chance and bought another Sako, this time in 22PPC caliber.
    The 22PPC is my all-time favorite caliber, and I have used a Ruger 77/VT in that chambering since '96.
    I picked up the HB single shot S491 from my FFL last night, and today I did some case prepping and got it on the bench this evening. The first 5 shot group after sighting in looked very promising, coming in at a hair under 3/8". However, subsequent groups strung vertically, with one 5 shot going in 2 groups about a 3/4" apart, and the other was 1/4" wide and 1.250" long. If anybody has any ideas about what's going on I would be glad to hear them. (I just stuck a big Nikon on the 6 to see how well it will shoot, used a 3x9 Leupold Rifleman for deer season) Sako 6PPC (2).jpg Sako 6PPC 2 (2).jpg 20190110_171230-1.jpg 20190110_172018.jpg
    I'm posting a few pictures of both guns. Unfortunately, the S491 has some damage on the right side of the checkered panel on the fore end, and the sling screw also made some gouges on the under side of the fore arm. I do have another stock that I picked up on Ebay that I could use, but perhaps some of the readers know Sako 6PPC (2).jpg if the checkering can be doctored a bit. Thanks for your time

2. John A Miller

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Sorry, didn't mean to post the same pic twice...o_O

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Does your HB .22 PPC have a bedding screw near the end of the forearm? If so, adjusting it may tame the vertical stringing.

John A Miller likes this.
  4. c-monkey

c-monkey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Hi John!

My my, that 6PPC looks familiar! Glad to hear you're having fun with it.

Went on my "once in a lifetime" Michigan elk hunt and got my cow, but it was the hunt of a lifetime one would sooner forget. Animals were not hunted by methods that I enjoyed, and although legal, not a hunt I would want to duplicate. Think I'll head back to Newfoundland for a moose in a year or two.

Can't help you with the stringing, but thought I'd just say HI.

Karl

5. John A Miller

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    SC, Barrel is free floated, but there is a socket near the front of the forearm that is for a push button sling swivel. I assume a previous owner did it, and that it's not factory.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. John A Miller

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Hi Karl! Thanks, sure love that little Sako! Sorry to hear that the elk hunt was a bit disappointing, but glad you got one.

7. John A Miller

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    My son went moose hunting in Newfoundland with his fiance and her father a few weeks ago. They caught a few glimpses of one, but did not get a shot...

8. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think that's factory. Look at the last photo on this S491 .22 PPC that recently went up on the SakoSource website: https://www.sakosource.com/-1565rs-22ppc.html
    When I saw it I assumed it was some kind of bedding tuner, but you may be correct about it being a sling attachment.

9. John A Miller

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Well, I'll be...looks like the exact same setup. My rifle came with the sling, and it actually works quite well. It's quick to unfasten at the range and to re insert when you're done shooting. 20190111_094833.jpg 20190111_094851.jpg

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It seems to leave too much to coincidence that these two Sakos of the same model and caliber would have the same aftermarket modification. Maybe someone who is more familiar with this model will chime in here to affirm (or not) that this is factory standard for this model.

If so, then it appears that the one on the SakoSoure site has an added "normal" quick attach sling stud, maybe because the owner wanted to use a bipod?

11. John A Miller

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I believe you are correct, stonecreek. I'm attaching a pic of the inside of 2 S491 stocks, one (the 22PPC) with the socket and another with just the regular stud. You can see the one with the regular stud does have the cutout for the oblong plate that the socket screws into. Now I guess I'd better get back to work and stop playing around with my Sakos!! 20190111_114257.jpg 20190111_114257.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 12:48 AM