• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako TRG/M995 info needed

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

casador

Does anybody know what calibers were available with the Sako TRG/M995, does anybody know what accuracy can be expected from this model? I ask this because I have been looking for one of these in standard caliber 308/3006/270 but have been able to find one...

casador. The sako M995 TRG-S were sold as Hunter and Carbine models in certain calibers. I don't know exactly which, but the calibers sold were: 308 Win, 25-06 Rem, 6.5x55, 270 Win, 7x64, 280 Rem, 30-06, 9.3x62, 270 Wby Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Wby Mag, 7mm STW, 7.21 Firebird, 300 Win Mag, 300 Wby Mag, 7.82 (.308) Warbird, 30-378 Wby Mag, 338 Win Mag, 340 Wby Mag, 375 H&H Mag, 416 Rem Mag, and last but best- 338 Lapua Mag. The rarest are the 308 Win, 280 Rem and the 9.3x62. Sakojim.

casador. Forgot to mention that in my personal opinion for what it is worth, I believe that the quality and capability of these rifles is exceptional. The only drawback is the weight is a little much for a long pack. Sakojim.

casador. Forgot to mention that in my personal opinion for what it is worth, I believe that the quality and capability of these rifles is exceptional. The only drawback is the weight is a little much for a long pack. Sakojim.
Thank you Sakojim, I have heard these rifles were of high quality and I like the way they look a lot more than the current models, I would love to find one in 6.5X55 but really any of the non-magnums would fit the bill for me. There are several magnums on gun broker/guns International, Im not a magnum fan and don't need one so I'll keep looking...

I would love to find one in 6.5X55

Keep trying - mine is a tack driver. My son consistently shoots 3 shots touching or nearly touching at 200yds. However it took a little while to find the right load.

But as Sakojim says they are somewhat heavy to lug around the hills. They are also reputed to have a tendency to crack at the wrist. Mine did but it was only cosmetic, not structural, and easily fixed with a dremel and epoxy. We have also noticed that the barrel starts rusting quickly in damp conditions - not a biggie, just needs a clean every evening if out in the damp. David

Keep trying - mine is a tack driver. My son consistently shoots 3 shots touching or nearly touching at 200yds. However it took a little while to find the right load.

But as Sakojim says they are somewhat heavy to lug around the hills. They are also reputed to have a tendency to crack at the wrist. Mine did but it was only cosmetic, not structural, and easily fixed with a dremel and epoxy. We have also noticed that the barrel starts rusting quickly in damp conditions - not a biggie, just needs a clean every evening if out in the damp. David
Arnt the stocks on these rifles fiberglass composite? and they have a tendency to crack at the wrist? That worries me then, although a 308 or 270 should not cause that problem, I would think maybe some of the bigger magnums like 338, 300Weatherby, 300 Win. I have to admit that I don't know much about these rifles, other than I like the TRG type action. I have a TRG 22 and the action on the M995 is very similar and that is what attracted me to the M995, but this new revelation may keep me from getting one....

casador. I have never had a m995 stock crack. After 100+ rounds from my 338 Lapua with no ill effects I have decided that the problem others have with these stocks is simply not making sure that the action attachment screws are checked often and kept tight. My son has had one in 308 Warbird for many years with no problems. The bottom line is keep the screws tight, keep it clean, well oiled and enjoy one of the finest rifles ever produced. The sooner you find the caliber that you want, the sooner you will begin to enjoy many years of precision shooting. One more bit of advice. Do NOT bed the stock. DO make sure that the barrel is free floating for best accuracy. Do Not use cheaper scope mounts. For the best that this rifle can give you I suggest the best of scope mounts which are Sako Optilocs. How about 16 inch groups at 900 yards with one in 7mm Rem Mag? I have a friend that enjoys consistently making a gong echo at that range. Wish I could. Sakojim.

casador. I have never had a m995 stock crack. After 100+ rounds from my 338 Lapua with no ill effects I have decided that the problem others have with these stocks is simply not making sure that the action attachment screws are checked often and kept tight. My son has had one in 308 Warbird for many years with no problems. The bottom line is keep the screws tight, keep it clean, well oiled and enjoy one of the finest rifles ever produced. The sooner you find the caliber that you want, the sooner you will begin to enjoy many years of precision shooting. One more bit of advice. Do NOT bed the stock. DO make sure that the barrel is free floating for best accuracy. Do Not use cheaper scope mounts. For the best that this rifle can give you I suggest the best of scope mounts which are Sako Optilocs. How about 16 inch groups at 900 yards with one in 7mm Rem Mag? I have a friend that enjoys consistently making a gong echo at that range. Wish I could. Sakojim.

thanks, I found the stock cracking info very surprising. Sako is one of the best rifle makers of all times, maybe a defective stock after all they are man made. There is a nice looking 270Win on gun broker that I have been watching, also there is a 7 Rem mag with box, don't know if that one is unfired or not. I don't want a Magnum so the 270 is definitely a contender. I wish I could find a 6.5X55. Would a grand be to much to pay for a 270??

Just curious as to why you are against magnums. Also curious what you will be using the rifle for. I know that because of the heavier weight of the m995 recoil is usually not an issue. Another factor that will add to your enjoyment is loading your own ammo for best results. As far as what should be a fair price for any given caliber is very difficult to pin down because of the popularity of different calibers for different areas of the country. Out west the preference is for magnums for longer range and hitting power on bigger game. The eastern areas would only require smaller calibers and so the values vary by area. In my personal opinion the value of all rifles are lower because very few rifles other than sought after calibers are being bid on at the GB auctions. May be it is a seasonal thing. I would think that 900 should bring you a rifle of excellent condition in that caliber. Occasionally new in the box examples sell for a little more. Sakojim.

Just curious as to why you are against magnums. Also curious what you will be using the rifle for. I know that because of the heavier weight of the m995 recoil is usually not an issue. Another factor that will add to your enjoyment is loading your own ammo for best results. As far as what should be a fair price for any given caliber is very difficult to pin down because of the popularity of different calibers for different areas of the country. Out west the preference is for magnums for longer range and hitting power on bigger game. The eastern areas would only require smaller calibers and so the values vary by area. In my personal opinion the value of all rifles are lower because very few rifles other than sought after calibers are being bid on at the GB auctions. May be it is a seasonal thing. I would think that 900 should bring you a rifle of excellent condition in that caliber. Occasionally new in the box examples sell for a little more. Sakojim.
I'm on the Eastern side, whitetail deer is the normal game I hunt. I only have access to a 500 yard range where I shoot, so a standard caliber will do well. I have always read that the 270 Win is a very good caliber affording a flatter trajectory than say an 06.

Yes I agree that the 270 would be a very good choice for you. It has always been considered a great all around caliber for most uses. It seems that the 7mm STW is also becoming very popular. It is more suited to longer range shooting. I hope that you find a very good one at a reasonable price. Sakojim.

My dad has one in .338 Winchester Magnum. I didn't see that one in your list ;)

I have heard of Sako stocks cracking...but only on the 375hh and 416 calibers. I believe that is why my used .416 came in a McMillan stock instead of the original wood stock

I am not knocking the M995 - it is a great rifle, at least my 6.5x55 is - but I believe the stock cracking at the wrist is a potential problem and not just confined to magnum calibres unless you consider the 6.5x55 a magnum :)! Here is a thread and picture of my rifle and crack on the firing line forum (before I joined here).

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291956

I also contacted a well-known local gunsmith at the time and he replied

I have owned a few M995/TRG(S), stocks are prone to cracking , I cracked the tip off mine using a bipod ....I would guess your stock was cracked before you got it as it does take some sort of blow to do them in
McMillan replacement stocks were available then, but as I stated earlier mine was easily fixed with a dremel, epoxy filler and matt black spray paint. Hardly noticeable and has lasted 9 years so far. (EDIT Just remembered that a friend's 30-06, rebarreled in 280AI, that my son worked on last year had an identical crack in the wrist which we fixed, so that's 2 out of 2 that I have seen). Here is my repaired 6.5x55.

DSCF5537 (Small).JPG

And just to stir things up further you should be aware that back in 2007 the European Commission issued an alert about the bolt on the M995. Scroll down this link to find it.

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons...yReport.Print&web_report_id=228&Risk=Injuries

The good news is that Sako recalled the affected rifles and, I believe, modified the bolts. However as a precaution I contacted Beretta NZ about my particular rifle. They promptly checked with the factory and confirmed that my rifle was not one of the small number affected.

And I agree with Sakojim that if you can't find a 6.5x55 the 270 is an excellent all-round calibre. It has been used for years in New Zealand to take all our game from chamois and thar to wapiti. But then I am probably biased having two 6.5s and two .270s. Admittedly my 270s are WSMs but there is not a big difference in their performance over the standard 270. - David

Last edited:
I have shot over 100 rounds though my .338 win mag with no cracking evident in the stock. I just found an un-fired (outsidenof the factory) .300 win mag and have contacted near manufacturing in Canada for a picatinny rail scope base. I've heard the 4 screws are not enough and require pinning as well. Anyone heard of this being necessary? I've got what I believe to be optilocks on the .338 and after only bore sighting, it has able to hit 1" round targets at 100yards with no issue and repeatedly. Looking to pick up a KRG whiskey 3 chassis soon for one of them. Any other drop in chassis besides the XLR industries and the KRG out there?

I have a couple Sako rifles in the M995. Through the years I have also acquired several extra magazines for them. I am trying to figure out what calibers the magazine marked 95-1 belongs to. I am fairly certain that the 95-2 stamped magazine is the 338 Lapua, 30-378 and 308 Warbird.

Can anyone tell me what the 95-1 stamped magazine goes to?

Thank

I have magazines marked both "95-1" and "95-2" and can't see any difference in them. Either of them work equally well with any of my three magnum caliber Model 995's (TRG-s) in .338 Win, .375 H&H, and .416 Rem.

Sako M995 Magazine info as follows.
All the magazines externally are the same.
The angle of the feed lips are different to allow cartridge feed and protrusion.
Short Action mags have blocking plate, not marked.
Standard: 95-1, full length
Magnum: 95-2, full length
Lapua, Lazzeroni, WBY: 95-3, full length

Latest posts

Back