• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Sporters vs. Browning Sakos

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
Okay, as I said I would, I've finally gotten around to taking weights and measurements on two pairs of Sako Foresters from the mid-1960's and their counterpart Browning-Sako Safaris (although one is actually a Medallion).

Here are the "pair" of .243's:
DSC00532 (1024x415).jpg
The Sako Deluxe (top) is wearing a Leupold VX-II 3-9 in Redfield rings and mounts. The Browning is wearing a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 in Buehler rings and mounts. The Sako was weighed without the sling to make it comparable to the Browning.

Sako Forester: Barrel diameter at muzzle .586"; barrel length 22 15/16 in; total weight 7 pounds 8 ounces.

Browning Safari: Barrel diameter at muzzle .536"; barrel length 22 5/16 in; total weight 8 pounds 4 ounces.

I was very surprised that the Browning out-weighed the Sako since its barrel is both smaller at the muzzle and shorter by 5/8". It does have both front and rear sights, which might be 3 or 4 ounces, and the Buehler mounts look to have more metal in the bases than the Redfields. But I suspect that much of the difference is in the fuller contour of the stock with its longer forearm. The wood may also be denser. The Sako is one of the early Bofors models with a very trim stock.

Here are the Sako Deluxe .308 and the Browning Medallion .308:
DSC00534 (1024x407).jpg

Again, the Sako Deluxe is wearing a Leupold 3-9X in Redfield mounts while the Browning is wearing a Leupold 2.5-8 in a Redfield one-piece mount.

Sako Deluxe .308 (top): Barrel diameter at muzzle .586"; barrel length 22 15/16"; total weight 7 pounds 8 ounces. (Weighed without sling. This rifle has also had its recoil pad removed and replaced with a plastic buttplate to reduce LOP for a shorter shooter.)

Browning Medallion (bottom): Barrel diameter at muzzle .532; barrel length 22 5/16; total weight 7 pounds 13 ounces.

The two Sakos came in exactly the same, while the Browning .308, being without sights and having the lighter scope mount came in under the Browning .243 but still some bit heavier than the Sako Deluxe.

As I say, I was surprised that these "pencil barrel" Brownings actually weighed more than the contemporaneous Sakos. However, when you wrap your hand around the grip the difference in how much more slender the Sako grip (and entire stock) is than the Brownings is immediately apparent. I don't have a comparable later Sako L579 to compare, but as everyone is aware, those probably run close to a pound heavier due to their beefier barrels and stocks.

To put things in perspective, however, even the heaviest of these rifles at 8 pounds 4 ounces is quite lightweight for an all-steel hunting rifle with a full length barrel and full-size variable scope mounted in all-steel mounts.

Back