• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako "short barrel" performance

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hey all,
For those non-believers out there, I dug up some of my old reloading and chronograph data from back in the 80's. These were stats for loads shot out my Sako Carbine/Mannlicher 20" barrel, .30-06:
55 grains IMR 4320, 150 grain Nosler partition, MV of 2964 FPS
50.5 grains IMR 4064, 180 grain Speer boat tail, MV of 2715 FPS
56 grains IMR 4831, 220 grain Sierra round nose, MV of 2414 FPS
Groups at 100 yards for all three loads averaged within 1 to 1 1/2 inches.
Regards, Will

Back before I ran out of it, I used to load 54.25 grains of IMR 4320 under a 150 Nosler BTip in my son's .30-06 with a 24.4" barrel. It chronographed an even 3000 fps, so your velocity with that powder seems pretty much in line with my experience, adjusted for barrel length.

Hey all,
Here is another load for these impotent short barrels
Sako "short barrel" performance

Shooting a Harrington & Richardson Model 301, full stock Carbine, 18 Inch barrel, .270.
Case: Federal
Primer: CCI 250
Powder: 60 grains Hod. 4831
Bullet: 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
Muzzle Velocity: Average for eight shots through Chrono was 3001 FPS
Performance: 5 shot group within 1 3/8". point of impact four inches above zero at 100 yards. 4.75 inches high at 200 yards, .29 inches high at 300 yards, 10.29 inches low at 400 yards.
Regards, Will

My AV Mannlicher 30-06 w/18 1/2" barrel prints pretty good with quite a few loads I've worked up.

150gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, MOA, 62gr H4350, 2974fps.

150gr Swift Scirroco, Sub MOA, 62gr H4350, 3025fps

Both have taken big mule deer more than once.

165gr TBBC, MOA, 59.5gr H4350, 2808fps

165gr Barnes MRX, MOA+, 59.5gr H4350, 2922fps

180gr TBBC, Sub MOA, 58.5gr H4350, 2755fps

I've worked up a few IMR loads also but the H loads get me more accuracy and it seems, a bit more velocity.

My gun is pillar and glass bedded. I always fire a fouling shot prior to shooting loads for group. As the barrel warms up, the groups get tighter. With a very warm barrel but going slow as not to really heat it up, it becomes a 1 hole group rifle.

Many times on the range people have come up to me and commented on my 'brush' rifle untill they look through my spotting scope and I tell them how many bullets are in that target.

I'm working up a load for the 168gr Barnes TTSX as we speak. It's going to be a Sub MOA load also.

Love this gun. Wanted one since I was young. I've had it now for about 7 years and taken 6 nice muley bucks with it and the longest was a ranged 464yds shot off my home made shootin stix.

Mark

Back