Sako Scope Ring Tips (Use the proper tools)

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by icebear, Jan 20, 2019.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Amazon has raised everybody's expectations. Personally, I can wait a few days for most anything, although I do confess I'm like a kid on December 23 when I've bought a gun online and I'm waiting for it to get to my transfer FFL.

And I like the quote from "Music Man." You're dating yourself, though - that was my father's favorite show and he was born in 1926. The Wells Fargo Wagon also reminds me of an e-mail group of military surplus rifle collectors I belonged to at the dawn of the Internet age. There was a constant stream of "BBT posts" - i.e. postings of what they had just gotten from the Big Brown Truck (UPS).

2. Makoman

Makoman Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Ice bear, do you have any experience with the Leupold Quick Release system for Sako rifles? I have a 700 clone and an FN Mauser and love the system. It holds zero perfectly, and it allows me to store and transport my rifles and scopes separately. I’d like the same setup for my newly acquired AV, but am concerned about marring up the dovetails. I already have Optilocks in hand, but would prefer to go with the Leupold QR set up if you or anyone else has positive experience with them.

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Sorry, I do not. I do have Warne QR rings on an L61R Mannlicher carbine. These are very simple, solid, and have a good return to zero. They index with tabs on the ejection port. Unfortunately Warne no longer makes QR rings for Sako, but they can often be found on eBay or Gunbroker.
    AIII Carbine 30-06 2.JPG

4. Texas Chinook

Texas Chinook Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Happily, the "Wells Fargo Wagon" finally appeared (Brownell's 340-04 was on backorder... grrrrr) and I'm back in business. Here's my bit: I do suggest making the gap 0.18" instead of 0.16"; 0.16" just barely fits over my screws.

Brownells 340-04 Sako Bit.jpg

5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Glad it's working out for you. Making the opening a couple of hundredths bigger is just fine; I made the original by eyeball anyway. That's pretty much within the margin of error for measurement. And thanks for posting a photo of your version; it will be a help for others. Apparently there is some pent-up demand for this tool. There are at least a couple more guys making them. I'm glad I could provide a prototype.

Murkula likes this.
  6. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    This works for me, cost was about 4 cents and minimum elbow grease -

D90A777B-E720-4B6D-A4BC-278031D5A850.jpeg

Branxhunter, icebear, susanna and 2 others like this.
  7. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Looks good. Nice job of squaring up the notch.

8. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Cheers icebear.
    It’s nice to have a factory made tool for the job that’s for sure, but quite often they are not readily available.
    The improvised washer allows for plenty of control, no slipping, when snugging up those nuts.

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    And it fits nicely in your pants pocket, as well!!

10. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    mate, this is too simple.
    love the stock on your L46.
    never been able to find a decent L46 with a checkered beech stock. what cal is this one.
    susanna

11. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Susanna, thanks for the comments.

This one is a .17AH medium H/B.
    The stock is actually a well executed custom.

susanna likes this.
  12. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Sounds like a rifle worthy of its own thread (hint, hint). I reckon a little .17AH would be terrific. I have a few boxes of .22h brass on the shelf for one day.

Great problem solve with the washer too.

Marcus

deersako likes this.
  13. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    deersako. stock is beautiful, i should have looked harder lol
    wood threw me, just a natural look for an wing L46, built here in aust ?
    been down the 17ah road, ended up putting the am 22 ht barrel back in & bought a cz 527 17 hornady
    hind site tells me i should have just had the chamber recut. both great little rnds hornady a lot easier.
    susanna

14. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Yes Susanna, built here by Peter Kay in Dubbo about ‘91, Tobler barrel. Not sure who did the stock, but a very good job with a heavier forend to suit the barrel weight.

I’m using the .17H brass now, one pass through the Ackley FL die and life is good.

susanna likes this.
  15. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Here’s my attempt to duplicate icebear’s screwdriver blade for the vintage Sako scope mount adjustment nut. It was my first use of a Dremel tool, and so the result is very far from perfect. Most of the work was done with needle files. The bit is Brownells 340-4, which seemed just a little too thick for the slot in the nut (and was a little thicker than the .035” claimed by Brownells), and so I filed it down to about .037”. It now slips into the slot (albeit tightly) and reaches the bottom of the slots on both sides of the stud. Despite the aesthetic shortcomings, it works!:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

deersako likes this.
  16. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Congratulations, you've got yourself a functioning tool that you made yourself. A good feeling, isn't it? The important thing is that it works - you can always improve the appearance later, if you feel so inclined.

I'm happy and gratified that my little project has filled a need among several of our forum members.