SAKO SAFARI AIV in 9.3x62mm - QUESTIONS - ** ADDED PICTURES **

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by buckstix, Jul 22, 2018.

1. buckstix

buckstix Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    Hello all,

I recently purchased a Safari AIV in 9.3x62 caliber. Some years ago I found a post on the internet that told the history of the Safari AIV and all the different calibers in which it was offered. Now, the only info I find is that it was listed in .300 WM - 338 WM - 375 H&H .... but this one is in 9.3x62mm, with the orignal box that confirms its original.

Does anyone know of the History post I mentioned? Can anyone explain this chambering?

thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018

2. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Buckstix
    I don't know much about the Safari AIV chamberings. You can try the search function using some key words related to the topic you're interested in, and with luck you'll find the post you're looking for. But just to see a few pictures of a Safari 9.3x62, do a google search for "Images Sako Safari AIV" and you'll see many photos of AIV 338's and 375's, and the site has 4 or 5 pictures of one 9.3x62. Notice the 9.3x62 has 2 crossbolts and the 338 and 375 from the same time frame seem to have 1 crossbolt. I don't think the site has any pictures of a 300 win mag. I've been told that the number of 300 AIV Safari of the first run is somewhere around 10 or 12 rifles.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    In addition to the calibers you mention it was also chambered in .416 Remington. The primary difference in the A-IV and the A-V actions is the drop magazine on the A-IV (Safari) which allows it to hold an additional round. Of course, the Safari also has some special features like the quarter rib, barrel band sling mount, and straight-grained black walnut stock. Here's a nice example in .375: https://www.sakosource.com/-1507rs-375safari.html

4. buckstix

buckstix Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    Hello douglastwo

Thanks for the reply.

I have searched the site and have not found the "History" about the Sako Safari and its chamberings. In addition to the newly acquired 9.3x62, I have 3 other Sako Safari rifles, 1 in 300 Win Mag, and 2 in 338 Win Mag. In the past I've owned 2 in 375 H&H but they were traded away. You are correct, all had only 1 cross bolt as compared to 2 cross bolts on the 9.3x62.

Hello stonecreek,

Thanks for the reply.

I believe the 416 Remington chambering came later in the A-V model. I've never seen one advertised from the early 1980-1982 A-IV models.

5. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Excellent purchase. I had located one of these in Colorado last year and kept trying to buy it but the purveyor of the gun shop kept increasing the price. It did not have an import mark, so I assumed it was a bring back. Looking at yours, it was not the same rifle. Good luck with it, let us know how it shoots.