• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Riihimaki .222 Rem Info?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

adula

My uncle gave me his .222 Rem S/N29XXX that he got when he was in Germany from 1955 to 1957. He bought the Sako home in 1957. It has a three shot (?) magazine and is engraved and has a scope. I am trying to get the model number for this gun and if there is a manual. This is a very nice firearm and we used it alot when I was growing up on the farm shooting varmits. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Your rifle has to be an L-46. It is the first Sako mini-Mauser action, and most were made in 222 Rem until they were discontinued when the L-461 replaced it in 1961. You couldn't own a finer rifle. Ask anybody on this forum.
Best regards.

Don't want to hijack this but Pauls comment leads me to ask if any of the deluxe models came without the engraved trigger guard. I just picked up a L46 that was sold to me as a Deluxe but does not have an engraved trigger guard or magazine. It has the Deluxe stock and the trigger guard and barrelled action seem to have the level of polish.

ditchdogger,
It's been well established that these sort of things just "happen" randomly from the factory. Various theories have been put out for any one of many reasons. The fact is, you could very well get a Deluxe with full, partial, or no engraving at all. The Deluxe L46 engraving would be different than a say, L61R. You can find different pictures of engraving here on the site. I don't think there was any "standard" for engraving back around the 50's or before. Could be that of what an individual craftsman was willing to do, or trained to do.
The stock and the bluing is what is usually the give away. It's also possible that, through the years, someone may have exchanged the bottom metal. No one likes to hear that, but as parts became scarce any number of parts could have contributed to the whole.
I don't get the feeling your rifle was mis-represented.
S-A

We need pics of both rifles. Then we can analyze the things nine ways to Sunday. We love Sako pics !

DeerGoose

Thanks for the comments on my Sako. It has a cheek rest on the left side of the stock and there is no engraving on the trigger guard. As soon I as I can figure out how to post some pics I will, as a pic is worth a 1000 or so words. One more thing the stock seems longer than most rifle stocks. My uncle is about 6' 3" and has long arms. Also on the butt plate says: "LANDSBERG ROD & GUN CLUB GERMANY and in smaller print it says: Custom made by PACHMYAR Made in the USA". I have seen some engraving pcs on this site and it does not look like the ones I have seen. More later.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

Hi y'all,

I finally got back to the site as I was having computer/ camera problems. I took some digital pictures of the Sako and now I need help in posting them. I have never posted a photo before so i needlots of help.

By the way is there a way to get a manual for the L46?

Thahks,

Alex

adula:
sala-ampuja gave the best instructions on how to post a pic. They are in my post "L46 Barrel" in the for sale section. All you have to know is how to use your photo program to get them in the "my pictures" or similar file on your computer. Then they will down load to the forum easily.

I just acquired what I believe to be an L46 a couple of days ago and I’m trying to get some info on it myself. It has a Hensoldt Wetzler scope on it. I know it’s old but other than that, anything anyone can tell me would be appreciated.

Only the later L46's were stamped with the action designation. The earlier ones had Sako, Riihimaki(which is the name of the town the Sako plant is in), & the serial number stamped on the left side of the receiver. You can start getting info by clicking on Factory Records Service in the upper left of this page & requesting the available data. Pics would help us tell you more.

Thanks for the response. I cans see the left side of the receiver due to the scope mount that's been installed. (A VERY old Griffin & Howe). The scope is an old Henzolt & Wetzler without rings. I'm afraid I may damage it removing the mount. (I'm a bit of a novice with rifles). I can see the Caliber stamp on the barrel. "Cal 222" I can just see where is reads "SAKO Riihi...." before the scope mount obscures the rest. I have attached some photos. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Sako 10.jpg
    Sako 10.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 86
  • Sako 4.jpg
    Sako 4.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Sako 5.jpg
    Sako 5.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Sako 6.jpg
    Sako 6.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Sako 7.jpg
    Sako 7.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 78
  • Sako 11.jpg
    Sako 11.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 80
  • Sako 12.jpg
    Sako 12.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Sako 13.jpg
    Sako 13.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Sako 1.jpg
    Sako 1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Sako 2.jpg
    Sako 2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Sako 8.jpg
    Sako 8.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Sako 9.jpg
    Sako 9.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Sako 3.jpg
    Sako 3.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 78
That should have read I can't see the left side.....
I do see a number under the bolt handle that looks like it was etched in by hand and the number is 16687. Not sure if that's the serial # or not.

Yes, 16687 is the serial number. It will also be found after the word "Riihimaki" on the LH side of the receiver when not obscured by the scope mount. That serial number would put it likely in the mid 1950's, but Sako did not assign serial numbers chronologically, so the only way to know its actual production date is to request it from the Club's factory records service. You can find a link near the top of this page.

Your L46 has some very nice aftermarket engraving. Do you have any knowledge of who might have done it or where?

Yes, 16687 is the serial number. It will also be found after the word "Riihimaki" on the LH side of the receiver when not obscured by the scope mount. That serial number would put it likely in the mid 1950's, but Sako did not assign serial numbers chronologically, so the only way to know its actual production date is to request it from the Club's factory records service. You can find a link near the top of this page.

Your L46 has some very nice aftermarket engraving. Do you have any knowledge of who might have done it or where?

No. I know the gun was purchased second hand in South Florida many many years ago. I have no idea where the original purchase was made. Thanks for all the help.

Shoot it!!! It isn't all that collectible because of the custom work, but on the other hand it's a pretty neat period custom. Shooting an old rifle only affects the value if it is in unfired, original condition, which that gun obviously isn't. The custom work might have been done by Griffin & Howe, or by an American gunsmith using a G&H mount, or in Germany. It's hard to tell this long after the fact. The builder might have signed it somewhere, maybe in the barrel channel. You might also find the engraver's signature or a trademark buried somewhere in the engraving. The use of a rail mount scope suggests Germany, since this type of scope is seldom used or even seen in the United States. The scope manufacturer is Hensoldt, located in Wetzlar, Germany. I believe Hensoldt has long since been merged into Zeiss. It is an excellent quality scope and I'd leave it on the gun in its G&H mounts. The big knob at the rear of the mount is the windage adjustment. There is undoubtedly some arrangement to lock it in place. The scope itself is only adjustable for elevation. This arrangement was the norm in Germany until fairly recently. Removing the scope is easy enough; just loosen the two levers and it will slide off. It should return to zero when it is reinstalled and the levers are tightened. I have a similar mount on an old Winchester Model 70, but without the windage adjustment. I would NOT advise removing and replacing the G&H mount with something else. It works fine as is. What you have now is a unique custom piece. Take off the mount and you've got an old Sako with some engraving and big holes in the left side of the receiver.

It also appears that the stock is a custom item, not original Sako. I've never seen a Sako stock with a schnabel on the forend like that. The schnabel is typical of German work, but is also seen on some period American guns. It's also a nicer grade of wood than is typical of an L46, and it may not even be the same variety of French walnut as Sako used. The checkering pattern doesn't match the usual L46 checkering, either.

I think that's a really cool old gun. If I had it, I would have taken it to the range this morning along with my new Valmet. I'd advise leaving it as is, just clean it up a bit, make sure everything is tight, and have fun. Maybe refinish the wood in tung oil or linseed (NOT poly). Check the zero on the scope and see how it groups. Sometimes those old guns will really surprise you with their accuracy.

The custom engraving is really cool & as icebear said the scope & mounts add a "period" look to it as well. It would be interesting to see where the factory records say it was initially shipped as the custom work looks very German.

Once again, thanks for the in-put. I really appreciate it. I will have the smith at my range give it a once over to make sure everything is safe and sound. Then I think I'll run a couple of boxes through it. I'll let you know how it does. (I'm sure it will easily outperform my skills). Thanks again.
I hate to ask because I know this is a SAKO site, but with this, I also acquired an old Trico 22lr with a double set of triggers. I've never seen that before. It's like a da/sa. When the rear trigger is locked back, the front trigger will fire with the touch of a feather. Any idea where I can get some info on that one?

Latest posts

Back