Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Old Hippie, May 26, 2021.

1. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Thanks to everyone, for your participation on this thread! I just noticed that has grown to 6 pages of wonderful photos, amazing stories and a ton of fellowship and camaraderie.
    Let us all celebrate the reasons we enjoy this forum.
    Keep the fire burning!

Hippie

2. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi fello Sako fans,
    Hippie, all kidding aside while I was deer hunting on our farm 3 years ago a Coyote showed up & trotted down the food plot. He had short legs like a Yorky, pointed paws & coloring like a coyote. After I shot him, I concluded that he was a mix with some domestic dog. I was also surprised that when I put him in the pines, it took the buzzards (trash removal team) less than an hour to find it & make a proper disposal.

3. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Buzzards are quick! Save for the variant Black buzzard or vulture. We have a growing number of these around. I read that the black buzzard lacks the ability to detect and follow the methane gas released by decaying flesh, so these birds follow the indigenous turkey buzzards in massive groups and invade upon their discoveries. The numbers of these gaggles of black vultures are incredible, finding groups that actually break down the trees they roost in. I have witnessed trees so full of them it blacked out the foliage that surrounds them. Nasty birds!

Hippie

4. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Old Hippie follow up, thought I'd go to the range this morning & show the "multiple targets/shots" practice using.22 LR's with a Sako 94S .22lr. The targets are at 50, 100 & 200 yards using silhouettes and then swing plates mounted on a black background to identify bullet impact.
    It was challenging as the wind was causing quite a bit of drift and shift of POI to the right and down at times (especially at 200 yards), 2 of the 200 yd shots low and impact misses captured on video. A cool still morning should produce much better results. I feel this is good practice and confidence builder for our hunters, especially those occasional ones. Doing this a few times with a .22 makes it easier when the opportunity presents itself in the field by coyotes, hogs, predators, etc. And more importantly, fun.

5. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    You sir…are a highly skilled marksman! FanTASTic shooting! This is an incredible drill in the way it’s all set up!
    I have a P94s as well, set up with a 3-9x40 VXIIc, at fifty I can keep up close to that pace, from a rest. Standing offhand , lol! Maybe!
    100 yards..whew, I’ll have to practice that a bit to keep up. No promises!
    200…wow! My round is falling off like bb’s from a red rider by then! 24”-30” I’d imagine.
    Thanks Spaher!
    Excellent Video work..excellent practice scenario..Excellent Marksmanship!
    Everyone needs to see this!

The humble Hippie

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  6. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hello Mr. Spaher,
    Great shooting I can see how the wind was blowing, by the grass movement!
    Wish I was as good a shot as that!!! but all my Texas friends are great shots!!
    B/T

Old Hippie likes this.
  7. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Bucktote, it’s more a testament to Sako than skill.
    By referencing confidence gained to hunter I mean that many use too big a gun & tend to pull the trigger in anticipation of recoil or just don’t shoot enough to know their gun. A full size .22 is an inexpensive way to practice & no recoil so it gives those hunters confidence in their ability to hit larger game precisely where they aim and not on a hope to hit their target. After all, if they can hit a very small target at 100 yds consistently with a .22 then they know they can do the same with any full size center fire caliber.
    After that one can begin to speed up the tempo for memory & concentration on different targets.
    My opinion…

Old Hippie likes this.
  8. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Mr. Hippie
    Can,t agree with you this time. A perfectly built rifle & zeroing, just means the special tool is functioning as it should. It still needs the human to be proficent and skilled enough to make it perform. When I was younger I practiced @ 200 & 400 yds . I discovered a .243 with 95-100 grain bullets & a 30/06 with 125 grain bullets were both plesent to shoot and provided enough power to take any game I hunted. Flinch was all but eliminated and shooting my dad's .348 was punishment. There is no substitute for practice and good equipment to instill confidence . As always I believe that bullet placement trumps caliber size, also a shooter MUST know their limitations!!
    B/T

9. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    How do you control the wobble? I’ve heard that some people try to time it or use a figure 8. I can’t imagine shooting like that! So impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    The P94s has a lot to do with accuracy in this video, and here’s why. Mine is a Sporter model, light barrel taper. The trigger is so wonderfully crisp and light, when my brain gets the signal from my eye and transfers the command to my finger to fire..the gun goes off. It’s that easy. And it happens every time. If I miss..not the guns fault, it’s mine. No question that a quality rifle can make you a better marksman, if indeed being a better marksman is your goal.

Hippie

11. Bernie’s Dad

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Ok so you are squeezing when the crosshairs are landing on the target even though you won’t be able to hold it there like bench rest shooting. Basically timing the squeeze?

12. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    The beginning of the video shows Spaher’s 94s resting on bags on a bench, I’ll assume he was shooting from a rested sitting position, providing some added stability.
    Quick target acquisition and steadying the crosshairs enough to stay on target while squeezing the trigger has been the challenge for a couple centuries. The practice of shooting and the discipline of marksmanship are two levels of skill.
    Watching closely in this video, you can see the impacts of each round. Take notice that many shots are not dead center hits but still on target. This proves that the human connection is the weak point of the shot, with natural forces such as wind and of course gravity to add more variance to the direction the bullet is traveling. All the factors combined are what give us the final results..a hit or a miss.
    Practice makes perfect, in the best case, but practice most importantly makes improvement.
    A person can’t be expected to put ten shots on target in 10 seconds if he only shoots 10 rounds a year.
    Another thing I realize personally is that all the time I’ve spent punching paper and shooting groups, has only lent to that particular discipline of marksmanship. I can do well , as long as I take my time and watch my form , being consistent shot to shot. This type of practice with multiple targets in quick succession has little to do with shooting good groups. It requires a change in position between shots, which also changes the form of the shooters body position, which changes basically everything else….blah blah blah bl-blah

Yes, you try to squeeze when the crosshairs are on the target!

The long winded Hippie

13. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Bernies Dad & Old Hippie, Correct that I was using sandbags on a bench and in sitting position. The 94S has a short bolt and less distance for bolt travel. I do not normally shoot quickly but this was an exercise/practice related to the discussion of being prepared while hunting when multiple shots may come into play. (BTW scope was a 4.5-14X50 Leupold, 2nd gen mil-dot)
    Allow me to give you my perspective on what has helped me shoot over time while hunting. Using good binos is what allows me to decide if I am going to select a target to shoot. Many use a rifle scope as binos or a spotting scope but I do not like to have to steady my rifle and watch an animal for very long through the rifle scope as the delay or time involved minimizes concentration as you have adrenalin come into play. After deciding to shoot I prefer to have my gun ready, find the animal and when he is in a good position only then look through the scope, quickly find a small spot on that target, concentrate at holding steady and take no longer than 3-4 seconds to shoot. I use the tip of my finger to minimize movement. Practicing with a full-size rimfire rifle (rather than a smaller frame) with an equivalent scope to what you use while hunting makes one more comfortable and confident for the field. Early on I was taught to always try to rest you right elbow on some surface (if right handed) whether your knee, a limb, armrest, etc., as this helps steady ones aim and minimizes movement. Also, refrain from shooting off a hard surface since this usually causes a round to go high and to the right if right handed, use a glove, cap a small pocket sandbag or any soft rest. Talking of resting of the stock and never the barrel, as I have seen some rest their barrel on a surface, change the POI and make a bad shot. Do not anticipate your crosshair movement, but only fire when steady and on target. And agree with Hippie that concentration on form leads to consistency and not speed. Hoping this is not redundant or ad nauseum.

Charles Witt, Old Hippie and sakojim like this.
  14. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    "
    Spaher.
    Definitely not. On the contrary, I feel this is very good and somewhat similar to military sniper instruction.
    Sakojim.

Old Hippie and Spaher like this.
  15. Bernie’s Dad

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    I believe I misunderstood and thought you were shooting off hand. Thus my question about the wobble. Never the less it is spectacular shooting and I thank you and Hippie for the lesson. I have a new 22 wmr (CZ not Sako!) and will practice a lot starting soon!

Spaher likes this.
  16. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Bernie’s Dad,
    Try this that I wrote up for .22lr as a start on distances for your scope:

.22LR. (50yds. @.5)
    MOA
    75. 1.5
    100. 4.5
    125. 7.5
    150. 12.5
    175. 16.5
    190. 18.5
    200. 21.5

you can develop your own chart for .22WMR but use this for starting point. Obvious the bullet trajectory takes big jumps in the 150-200 yd range & makes you concentrate but lotsa fun.
    The above was for plain .22lr Winchester X high velocity silver box. Cheaper than match ammo & easier to find although won’t be much different.
    Suggest a windless morning as less frustrating so you can figure out what your rifle likes and give you consistency.
    Using this chart my pr has been a 150’ish lb hog at 100 yds with bullet placement between eye & ear with .22LR, as soft spot on skull. Ranged a cactus at 100 & waited for him to get next to it where he dropped.
    Shoot Straight…

Old Hippie likes this.
  17. Bernie’s Dad

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Will do. Thanks! Am i shooting off bags? Seated? Prone?

18. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    No ad nauseum or redundancies what-so-ever! I personally look forward to every entry you post!
    Sako’s afield are hardly any fun if we can’t hit what we’re aiming at!!
    Thanks!

Hippie

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  19. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Bernie’s Dad,
    Suggest start seated & bags to dial in your gun, scope & shooter. Keep notes to take advantage of the exercise & don’t have to repeat POI info from memory. Then when comfortable shoot in any & all positions you like.
    Heck, you might win some money from your doubting friends betting against you & your rifle!

Old Hippie likes this.
  20. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Daddy-o
    If you don’t have the reactive target rams and flappers use clays and water filled bottles or even balloons.
    The .22 mag is a flatter shooting round than the long rifle cartridge, but has no recoil to speak of. You should be fine to practice all of this with your CZ!

Hippie

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021