Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Old Hippie, May 26, 2021.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "There's nothing wrong with quoting yourself when you have something quotable to say." -- Stonecreek, July 15, 2021 A.D.

2. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
  3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here's a pic from a few.....err...ahh...31.....years ago.

Range/trajectory was not a problem......but quick bolt operation was a necessity. :)

Rifle was a Winslow 17-222 Magnum, with a Burris 4-12xAO Mini.

[​IMG]

gowyo, Furdown and Old Hippie like this.
  4. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Hellyeah! Vintage Treebark Camo!
    I had visions of the same scenario yesterday as I scanned the fields for motion…all I saw were highly concerned does in search of my Distressed Bambi tunes. It was enjoyable as one stayed for quite some time , I could hear her loud grunts and vocalizations from my position 75 yards away.

no yotes…and 5 or 6 wood ticks

Itchy Hippie

5. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hip........

I just noticed something.

If you look closely at the enlarged pic of Vern's old station wagon......you'll see an old style chrome spotlight, mounted through the roof and over the drivers position(edit: probably with an inside control knob).

A true varmint safari-wagon! :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  6. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Yes! I saw that whilst trying to zoom in on the rifles on top of the roof. Those old spotlights, mounted on farm use trucks used to be a dead giveaway for game wardens policing night hunters and poachers.
    I remember a story where a couple spotlighting buddies were out driving back roads , in search of big bucks. The spot light thay had was like aircraft grade brightness and it drew huge amperage to burn. Consequently they blew a fuse, and having no spares, one decided it was a fine idea to use a .22 lr round in its place. It fit, and brass is indeed a conductor so, problem solved. They continued on. Next time they fired up the spot light, heat generated by the resistance of power to brass, ignited the round and it exploded from the fuse block under the dashboard and hit the driver, in the testicular regions! Needless to say, it put a damper on the nights poaching effort.

Hippie

kevinlg likes this.
  7. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Multiple targets/shots. Patience and a plan sometimes works along with practice. We practice with 22's at long distances on steel targets. If right handed start on the right and move left as there is a better field of view for the left eye and quicker target acquisition (rifle and scope are on your right shoulder) versus going left to right as you then have to swing back and takes longer. This assumes more than one target at the time.
    If not, we recommend once you down game to quietly work the bolt and not yanking to its limits making noise and removing or catching the ejected cartridge with your left hand, reason being that a single shot will alarm other game but any follow up noise like an ejecting shell or bolt or movement allows them to peg your position. At times just waiting a good while lets nearby predators to show themselves and a hunt. Photo below of a mature buck harvested by one of our hunters showing where buck went down with an upper shoulder shot by an oat patch, the hunter quietly waiting, with 2 coyotes showing up 15-20 minutes later and it worked. A buck & 2 coyotes down. I'm going to dig thru video on another hunt where I shot 2 bucks and 2 coyotes in rather quick succession, 1st on the right at about 20 degrees at 100 yds, swinging left to 170 degrees in seconds for the 2nd who was staring across the field at the first, connected and when I turned to look right 2 coyotes were trotting out of a creek towards the 1st buck, both shot when they got to the buck.

On a different hunt in Zimbabwe next to the Gonarezhou National Park and Mozambique border (areas still marked warning of mines from earlier conflict), we were asked to help on a depredation situation where 3 lions had attacked a small village and if we could please help removing them. Note: no tag or fee required so easy call. In October, the hottest time of the year and hottest place I had ever been at dusk we came up on the 3 lions and worked the Sako quickly (R to L), 1st shot at 100 yds in chest, swung to 2nd and double tap on the 2nd, going back to the 1st and putting a guarantee into him. 2 out 3 was all I could do but quite concerning and no mistakes on animals that have no fear of humans on foot.

Attached Files:

gowyo, Kowtown, Charles Witt and 2 others like this.
  8. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    BTW, just sharing hunting stories, experiences, thoughts and opinions even when wrong but backed up. Kind of like conversations around a campfire.

9. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Ok throw more wood in the fire!
    Astonishing stories and photos!
    The mature 14 point whitetail almost caused me to fall off my log! Man what a fine specimen!
    Multiple shots on multiple targets, I remember a few scenarios in my day, but not as intriguing as Spahers in as far as hunting 3 man-eating lions , killing two in one instance! Just the thought of the third one being out there…somewhere…would be heavy on my mind! My mind would of course still be attached to my feet and headed somewhere else. Call me chicken..but to a lion..well, both of us are on the menu!

to be continued…..

Busy Hippie

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Similar to Spaher's deer, here's a photo of my grandson (several years ago holding a Remington before he had proven himself eligible to shoot a Sako) with a feral hog and two coyotes. The coyotes both thought they had a taste for pork before he did them in as they sampled the ham.

Max's Coyote and hog (800x641).jpg

11. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    I surely hope, Stone , that this young man earned his right to a Sako that day! Good shooting several years older young dude!

Hippie

12. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Awesome photo and memory of your grandson, congratulations. I'm with Old Hippie that a trophy for the triple should be a Sako....

Old Hippie likes this.
  13. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    The coyote in the back has a interesting blonde to red color, I assume it’s discoloration from blood and flesh.
    I have yet to encounter this situation in the field, as far as downing an animal, then having to defend it from predation. I do recall once, I shot a cottontail from my treestand. The arrow piercing both hams and pegging it to the ground. The bunny squalled a horrible squall for a few minutes, until I climbed down and dispatched it caveman style. Within the time it took me to do this , pair of red foxes showed up to fetch an easy meal. I arrowed one within 15 yards and the other bolted away to safety. I had created a fox call!

Hippie

14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Well, two Christmases later he and his brother each got an L61R Deluxe .30-06 with a Leupold 100th Anniversary Model sitting atop it, "just like Dad's".

Old Hippie likes this.
  15. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    A P54 with a few rabbits -

E11FCB98-F2C7-472A-BE3F-207FE4726823.jpeg

16. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Similar circumstance, out hunting with a friend and a rabbit nicely hoped into a clear patch for us. I said to Mike as he aimed that if he missed I would shoot. Mike dropped the rabbit and as it fell over a fox jumped out of the long grass to snagle it. Unlucky for the fox he jumped straight to where my cross hairs were. No free lunch for him that day.

[​IMG]

Pete

Kowtown and Old Hippie like this.
  17. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    What an odd looking fox!
    It’s legs appear short , like a corgi or a dachshund!
    It this a optical illusion?
    Hippie

18. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I don't recall it having short legs at the time. Here is another photo which I believe is the same fox but the pic taken with Michael's BRNO rifle alongside to show the length of it.
    [​IMG]

Pete

19. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hippie: Foxes are northern hemisphere animals which were artificially introduced to the southern hemisphere by humans. The natural reaction to suddenly being upside down caused their legs to shorten.

Don't believe me? I'll put it on Facebook then everyone will know that, like spy chips in the Covid vaccine, it must be true.

Foxhunter223 likes this.
  20. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Reminds me of Fudd, looking up at his moose , just arriving in its tall wooden crate. Opening the door , the moose jumps out , only being a fourth as tall as he imagined. Bounding away like a dwarf muley!

your arrow , sirrrrr”

Happy Hippie