• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

My final 2023 post as just delivered from taxidermist. L WT Sako Mannlicher 7x57; R WT Sako prototype A73 30-06; R desert mule deer Sako Super Deluxe 6.5x55.View attachment 34913View attachment 34914
Hi Mr. Spaher,
You have mastered the art of deer management. The results of you & your staff are easily seen in your photos.
Congratulations & keep up the great work. B/T

Spaher: Thanks for posting! These are fantastic deer, each of which met its fate at the hands of a respectful hunter using the kind of fine rifle with which such magnificent examples of the animal kingdom should be hunted.

Spaher: Thanks for posting! These are fantastic deer, each of which met its fate at the hands of a respectful hunter using the kind of fine rifle with which such magnificent examples of the animal kingdom should be hunted.
Agree. Couldn't have said it better.

View attachment 35239
Hornet in it’s prime, such a great small game cartridge.
Nice !
What's the max range you can connect with rabbits reliably ?
I use a 17 hmr for them but either I am not a good shot (probably) or the round is limited to that range because I find it hard to hit them reliably further than 120 m.
I was thinking about getting a 222.
I know 204 ruger is the right choice but it is difficult to find ammo here.
Perhaps a Hornet would do ?

Frank, may I suggest you look up the ballistics tables & calculate the bullet drop at 200 m & then try at the range. I’m pretty sure you have plenty of gun/caliber. It should provide you with the elevation or holdover as long as you keep good notes. No need for another caliber if the goal is a small caliber for small game or predators. Even a .22 LR can shoot consistently at 200 m.
By example, the .17 Rem has an effective range of 400 m for small predators. The .17 hmr at 200 yds is supposed to drop 10 inches. This is per printed data & as I have never had one to exercise. This makes an easy challenge & satisfaction when you figure your ballistics out in the field.
Here are the tables I have put together for .22 LR & 7mm-08 & MOA adjustments. (MOA is click adjustments on a scope). To clarify or caution that in the 7mm-08 has a “W” category which is for use with a suppressor which alters the point of impact from a non-suppressed rifle.
Good luck & enjoy. IMG_3047.png

Attachments

• Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)
    IMG_3046.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thank you Spa for your informative answer. From what I see you think the 17 hmr is gun enough for rabbits at medium distances, say under 200 yards. My personal view is that 200 yards is a bit too much, for the little 15 or 17 grain pills get easily blown away by even light wind gusts.
I would love to discuss this issue in more length but I do not want to derail this very specific thread.
Anyhow I think my lack of consistency is more likely due to a lack of markmanship on my side.
I will train and try harder and follow your advice re making my own ballistic tables with field data.
Thanks

Frank, wind is an issue but calculable unless substantial gusts. Best to test on a still day. All the best as it’s always fun, or at least should be!
Attached snapshot from 2022 post under “new 94S”. Just a by the way in trying to help. Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Last edited:
Nice !
What's the max range you can connect with rabbits reliably ?
I use a 17 hmr for them but either I am not a good shot (probably) or the round is limited to that range because I find it hard to hit them reliably further than 120 m.
I was thinking about getting a 222.
I know 204 ruger is the right choice but it is difficult to find ammo here.
Perhaps a Hornet would do ?

Hi Frank, I like to keep ranges with the Hornet inside 150m. It is probably capable of a bit further, not sure I am though.
These were taken sitting over a warren at a ranged 120m
IMG_2742.jpeg

I like to keep ranges with the Hornet inside 150m. It is probably capable of a bit further, not sure I am though.
I agree. The longest hit I've seen on a prairie dog with a Hornet was 200 yards.

Most bullets for Hornets are stubby with a fairly blunt ogive, so their ballistic coefficients are low. This not only makes for a greater arc to the trajectory, but also makes them more subject to wind drift. Despite its limitations, I love shooting the Hornet and wish a manufacturer would offer a dedicated Hornet bullet of about 33 grains with a very sharp nose that would still fit in the limited magazine length of most Hornet rifles.

However, I also recognize that no cartridge need be pushed beyond its limits, so if you need more there's always a .221 Fireball, .222, or .223 for those longer ranges.

I agree. The longest hit I've seen on a prairie dog with a Hornet was 200 yards.

Most bullets for Hornets are stubby with a fairly blunt ogive, so their ballistic coefficients are low. This not only makes for a greater arc to the trajectory, but also makes them more subject to wind drift. Despite its limitations, I love shooting the Hornet and wish a manufacturer would offer a dedicated Hornet bullet of about 33 grains with a very sharp nose that would still fit in the limited magazine length of most Hornet rifles.

However, I also recognize that no cartridge need be pushed beyond its limits, so if you need more there's always a .221 Fireball, .222, or .223 for those longer ranges.
James Calhoon from Havre, Montana makes a 30 & a 37 grain 22 cal "Double Hollow Point" that is just what you are looking for. Been shooting his bullets for over 25 years & couldn't be more pleased. He also specializes in 19 cal (.198") bullets & wildcat cartridges.

Berger had some 33 g hp “Varmint Grenade” pills in .224 . Misako gave me some long ago. They were perfect for my Hornet
Searching online shows they are no longer producing these with 40 g being the smallest available

Last edited:
Back