Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Old Hippie, May 26, 2021.

1. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Oops, brain fart. I meant a couple other 7 mm mags (Remington, Browning) I hunted with.

2. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    My favorite caliber is 264 and I have about a half dozen of them I shoot. My p-brain is always thinking 264.

3. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    gowyo, thanks for info on 9.3 Safari auction , I need to search more often. Much appreciated.

4. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Certainly. Buyers premium et al would have that price at or above 2500. Still not terrible. That's @ what I sold my .300 for, 10 years ago...

deersako and Spaher like this.
  5. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    More with a P54 -

4C60683F-D2FF-44C5-89FC-9BEAC8F8213E.jpeg

C7828E0C-8D93-4CD3-B3B0-832778635B0E.jpeg

EC172FAC-60BC-4C07-A2DB-4F98F30C95AA.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  6. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Mmmmm. Wabbit!
    Good Shooting Deersako!

bloo

7. sws1213

sws1213 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    264 is also my go to rifle, but you're ahead of me. I only have 5 of them. LOL!

sakojim likes this.
  8. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Back @1990 I worked at a LGS. The owner loved Sakos and the .264. He had an AV .300 WM that he put a Douglas .264 wm air gauged bbl on. He had been hoarding the 140 gr. WW stepped bullets over the years. He tried and tried to get that rifle to shoot them to his satisfaction, which as far as I can recall, he never did. I think he eventually put the oem bbl back on.

sakojim likes this.
  9. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    gowyo.
    Thank you for a good example of why it is pointless for amateurs to try to improve on rifles that OEM's have spent tremendous money on R and D to produce. I have never felt a need to try any improvements to any of my Sako rifles. They have always performed flawlessly and I believe that caliber, bullet choice and proper hand loading to the 'sweet load' that matches the rifles choice will always be the way to go. I also believe that many times the rifle is blamed when the problem is usually the result of the improper setup of the equipment, such as component choice and scope mounting or simply trigger squeeze. There are an infinite number of things that can prevent accurate shot placement and until all of these are in alignment accuracy can be evasive. I have never owned a Sako that did not exceed factory accuracy guarantee when properly equipped and used. Sakojim.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Unclekax likes this.
  10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I came across this photo of a friend from overseas with his 8-point Texas whitetail and the Sako-Mauser Deluxe .30-06 I lent him to hunt with. Its the only Deluxe Sako-Mauser I've ever seen. In checking the sights he knocked over a bowling pin at 300 yards with it. He came back a couple of years later and took two more whitetails with the same rifle.
    (I cropped out his face since he doesn't know I'm putting this on the internet. If you click on the photo it will enlarge and you can see the Fishgods engraving on the floorplate.)
    P1000596 (1024x576).jpg

11. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Could it have been someone we know? I remember the gun, it was almost mine. I had it going my way and got outbid in the last minutes. Seems like L61R got to go hunting with it once or twice maybe?

I own a Coltsman DeLux that we share a memory with .. L46 .222 rem . Seems that I remember snagging it up with an instantaneous buy it now for under a grand, while you and some friends were having drinks around the fire! A youngster was minding the computer as I recall!
    Man , those were the days!

The sharp pointed juniper diamonds are the earliest of “stocks that pissed Weatherby off” … very cool!

bloo

Spaher likes this.
  12. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sako Afield, optimism aplenty with weather improving… we’ll see how she performs…

Attached Files:

13. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Good luck !
    Like my son and I always say, as we separate to hunt different area’s, “Kill a Big’un!”
    Fist bump!

Edit:
    to my knowledge, this is the first post of 2021 Sako’s afield fall season! It will be fun to see how everyone does this fall ! Best of luck to All!
    Bloo

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021 at 3:41 PM
    Spaher likes this.
  14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You would have to bring up a painful memory that I had done my best to forget! I told that kid to snag it if it got within a hundred dollars of the BIN. Ya just can't get good help these days!

15. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Fellow Sako Fans!!
    I took the .243 forester Deluxe to the farm & tried a cold barrel [email protected] 100 yds.
    "Bulls Eye" the 2" dia. bulls eye hit was upper, just left of center in the 9 to 12 o'clock
    quadrant of the circle. Opening day results! saw 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 buck @ dusk could have shot at first sighting. He turned and was feeding away ( Texas Heart Shot) , watched him 8 minutes. Good antler size & conformity, Older Teenage body, will cast good genetics, decided to let him go. Felt good about the decesion, I am not a camera buff so no pics,
    Best of luck to all!! B/T

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021 at 7:59 PM
    Old Hippie, Spaher and Bernie’s Dad like this.
  16. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Around here we call that the "Oklahoma Brain Shot".